Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Movies vs. Books

When movies are made based on books which do you like better?
1. The Movie [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
2. The Book [ 1 ]  [100.00%]
Total Votes: 1
Guests cannot vote 
Ashe
 Posted on Aug 7 2012, 07:35 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 27
Credits: 1370

I made this topic cause we were taking over the topic of Underword/RE crossover with this topic... Please vote and then state your views.... Let the discussion begin!!

My vote went for "The Book". I have many reasons for this, but my biggest reason is that the story I fell in love with in the book are totally changed when put on the big screen. I will use the miniseries Scarlett, based on the book by Alexandra Ripley, Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind as an example.

It took a little over half a century to be done (56 years), but a sequel was finally written for Gone With The Wind in 1992. As most know, GWTW ends kind of open ended. Rhett leaves despite Scarlett's insistence that she loves him and has for some time, she only didn't realize it. After he is gone she decides to go home to Tara to think of a way to get him back, and this is where the sequel picks up. The book is extremely well done and does a very good job of staying true to Mitchell's work.

The miniseries Scarlett however not only didn't stay true to Alexndra's work, they like the original GWTW did not do justice to Mitchell's work. In fact the miniseries completely changes major storyline parts, like having Scarlett on trial for her life for murdering Lord Fenton, when in the book she not only doesn't kill him, she is intent on marrying him believing all hope of ever getting Rhett back are gone now that his new wife was going to have a child.

Another deplorable change, at least in my view was in regards to her cousin from Ireland, the priest, Colum. He was a part of the Fenian Brotherhood, an underground Irish group of people who were determined to end English rule of Ireland. In the book it is clear that he loves Scarlett dearly and that he would do anything for her, and while it could be misconstrued that the love he feels for her is more passionate than familial, I didn't get that impression. My impression was that his love for her was more familial, grown out of genuine affection and respect for who Scarlett was as a person. If his feelings were ever more, they were not long lived and more the product of his being a man and her being a woman. Just because he was a priest doesn't mean he stopped being a man... tongue.gif And one thing is for sure, he'd never have burdened Scarlett with the truth if it were true. He was a truly honorable man and would have fought those demons alone, but fight them he would have. In the Miniseries, it is not only implied, he comes out and tells her.

PM
Walker killer
 Posted on Aug 26 2012, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team
Group: Civilian
Member No.: 32
Credits: 550

@ashe A sad injustice sad.gif, I have actually never seen GWTW or Scarlett, or read the books but would like to do so first tho I do remember them portraying Scarlett as being a spoiled brat in the movie, & I have heard from others others including mom that she wasnt in the book.

Catcher in thr Rye was another movie that didn't follow the book & let's not get started on the walking dead :/
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted on Aug 28 2012, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 27 2012, 12:45 AM)
@ashe A sad injustice sad.gif, I have actually never seen GWTW or Scarlett, or read the books but would like to do so first tho I do remember them portraying Scarlett as being a spoiled brat in the movie, & I have heard from others others including mom that she wasnt in the book.

Catcher in thr Rye was another movie that didn't follow the book & let's not get started on the walking dead :/

I think you would enjoy them. They are both written superbly! You can clearly picture what they are trying to convey. She wasn't AS spoiled as they made her out to be. I will be the first to agree that she could be selfish and self-centered but she was also very generous. She takes on the responsibility of not only her 2 sisters, 4 remaining slaves, a father who is "touched" in the head due to the loss of his wife, and her 2 aunts in Charleston (through giving money, they don't live with her), all of whom are family sure. However, she also takes on Melanie her baby and Ashley. She grows a lot, especially in the sequel. She really grows up.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif Yea the Walking Dead would be so much better if they followed the storyline of the comic books. Same thing goes for True Blood. The books are so much better, not like these ridiculous ones they keep coming up with... I have mostly continued watching for Eric... he's yummy! wub.gif Him, Pam and Lafayette are my reason for watching... Sookie needs to get drained....
PM
Walker killer
 Posted on Aug 29 2012, 04:48 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

I will admit to watching twilight just for Jake & Edward... But finally couldnt watch anymore due to the character Bella, so in order to be able to keep my beautiful head of hair & NOT pull it out, I stopped watching. :/

Thr next time I am at Hastings I will look for GWTW & Scarlett, quite a switch from my 'normal' line of reading smile.gif.

Another series of books that I thought weren't done justice to is Stephen King's books esp Christine, The Shining, & Pet Cemetary.
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted on Aug 29 2012, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 29 2012, 07:48 AM)
I will admit to watching twilight just for Jake & Edward... But finally couldnt watch anymore due to the character Bella, so in order to be able to keep my beautiful head of hair & NOT pull it out, I stopped watching. :/

Thr next time I am at Hastings I will look for GWTW & Scarlett, quite a switch from my 'normal' line of reading smile.gif.

Another series of books that I thought weren't done justice to is Stephen King's books esp Christine, The Shining, & Pet Cemetary.

I've read the Twilight books and while they are better than the movies, it isn't by much. And mostly because you don't have to SEE Bella or the stupid sparkling vamps. I do not see the reason for them to be so popular, vampires DO NOT sparkle!!

Make sure to have a hanky ready at the beginning of Scarlett. Something extremely sad happens in the first few chapters. It had me bawling like a baby!!

As for King's work, he agrees with us on them not being done justice, which is why he has been remaking them. King's works, like stories like GWTW, are not suited for just a feature length film, even a 3 hour one, which GWTW is. There is so much story to them that they end up cutting out all the stuff they feel is unimportant, when in fact the stuff they cut is vital to reach the proper conclusions the author has intended one to reach. Miniseries are the way to go when it comes to such epic stories. But that isn't even a guarantee that they will do it right. The miniseries Scarlett, the sequel to GWTW, is 6 hours long and they still managed to cut great amounts and screw it up!
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted on Aug 29 2012, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

When it comes to making a movie out of a book, there's a lot of narrative that just can't be translated between the mediums no matter how faithful one wants to be. A character's inner thoughts, for example, can easily be revealed through words. A visual media, on the other hand, would require a voice-over narrator for that, which wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for the plot unless it's being told in a flashback.
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted on Aug 29 2012, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

@spartan very true. but if the actor is directed properly that can be achieved to some degree IMO.

@Ashe there was a lot of King's work that i thought was really good TV stuff; Kingdome Hospital & Storm of the Century were a couple that i remember. no one liked them either & they were like VINTAGE Stephen King! Esp Kingdom Hosp, that was a good series! tho i think it would have been a better mini series.

Misery was also a pretty good BTF (book to film) as was Thinner.
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted on Aug 30 2012, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Aug 29 2012, 03:47 PM)
When it comes to making a movie out of a book, there's a lot of narrative that just can't be translated between the mediums no matter how faithful one wants to be. A character's inner thoughts, for example, can easily be revealed through words. A visual media, on the other hand, would require a voice-over narrator for that, which wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for the plot unless it's being told in a flashback.

This is true, but they do have ways, like flashbacks as you've mentioned. I feel if they can't translate the book well to film and keep the main things like plot and character development true to the author, then they shouldn't make it a film. The problem is they usually don't even attempt to do so. They just slap a "based on such and such book" and then do what they want.

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 29 2012, 06:53 PM)
@spartan very true. but if the actor is directed properly that can be achieved to some degree IMO.

@Ashe there was a lot of King's work that i thought was really good TV stuff; Kingdome Hospital & Storm of the Century were a couple that i remember. no one liked them either & they were like VINTAGE Stephen King! Esp Kingdom Hosp, that was a good series! tho i think it would have been a better mini series.

Misery was also a pretty good BTF (book to film) as was Thinner.

You're right Dragoness, they could achieve it a little if nothing else. They just don't want to.

Those are all stuff he did AFTER he was famous enough and had enough clout to say NO you are not going to butcher my work! King himself has said that his work does not fit well in a feature length film, it needs a mini series type of medium. Kingdom Hospital was what you could consider a mini series. It had a set number of episodes and was never intended to be a regular show.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted on Sep 1 2012, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Poor King, they totally butchered The Shining, tho Jack Nicholson was good, he carried that movie, that & the kid, he was good too.
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted on Sep 2 2012, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Sep 1 2012, 05:57 PM)
Poor King, they totally butchered The Shining, tho Jack Nicholson was good, he carried that movie, that & the kid, he was good too.

They butchered most of his early works. That is why he made the remake that had the dude from Wings in it. I went into the movie thinking no one could ever do Jack Torrence the way Nicholson did, but the guy that played him, even though he plays mostly comedic parts, did an EXCELLENT job! If you've not seen it I recommend it, it's a great remake. It follows the book much better, most likely because King had a big hand in it, unlike the first time.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted on Sep 3 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Haven't seen the remake, will check it out.

The best & one of thr most scary parts in thr novel was thr 'purple lady' as the boy called her the way it was written... Awesome!!! One of the scariest parts in a book I've read in a long time.
PM Yahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll