Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Resident Evil Revelations 3DS, Nuff said
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Dec 12 2010, 01:56 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Group: Civilian
Member No.: 15
Credits: 1160

ok. warning noted.
PM Email Poster Users Website
Relative Risk
 Posted: Dec 12 2010, 05:03 AM
Quote Post

Resident Blogger/Industry Insider
Group: S.T.A.R.S.
Member No.: 11
Credits: 990

QUOTE (Spartan198 @ Dec 9 2010, 11:18 AM)
And I'd take old school third person over FPS and OTS any day. That's what I liked about Resident Evil. It was like watching a horror movie and when you're watching a horror movie, the camera isn't right over the person's shoulder all throughout. Resident Evil is no longer survival horror anymore, it's a straight action shooter.

You may be a survival horror purist, which I have immense respect for, but Resident Evil is not a "straight action shooter." Sure, survival horror has evolved over the years, branching off into two factions: Japanese survival horror, which relies heavily on psychological horror elements; and Western survival horror, which relies heavily on action elements and overemphasizes the combat system. But Resident Evil still features the survival horror cornerstones--story-driven, puzzle-solving, evasion, etc.--although RE5 did go overboard for the sake of sales.

RE5 was supposed to "delve back to the series' roots" according to Capcom, but that turned out to be a load of bull. I highly doubt the claim will pan out this time.

That was never claimed. In fact, by this time in RE5's development process we were all aware of Capcom’s further deviation from RE's roots.

That's what they said about both RE4 and RE5, but it didn't pan out.

Surely any company representative would tout this line--it is a Resident Evil game, after all--but in the larger context I gather this is referring to a more psychological experience.

Making it action shooter, not survival horror.

Moving with your gun equipped while you hysterically cycle your camera around doesn't mean you're playing a shooter.

QUOTE (METALHEADROY7 @ Dec 9 2010, 09:36 PM)
so many posts, anyways, risk quit hating, i know im inept sometimes and i understand that, but your lucky you havent met me in real life other wise youd probably get a .44 and end it all. now its not that im lazy, i just simply dont go out much and im not as web resourceful as some. not to mention my computer got blue screen of death recently.

...What the hell are you blathering about? Heh, I work for the government in politics and foreign relations. It takes far greater lengths to annoy me than the nonsensical ramblings of a nineteen year old and his embarrassing attempts at bravado.

also fps would seem better for any future resident evil game. tired of using third person all the time.

Third-person is a little tired, but I'm intrigued by the hybrid of third-person and FPS.

QUOTE (Spartan198 @ Dec 10 2010, 01:19 PM)
Risky, the plunging V-neck on Jill's blouse was present in her RE5 incarnation and is nothing new. Only difference is that her goods aren't covered like they were then.

Which is why I stressed bare plunging V-neck; Jill's BSAA uniform in the RE5 incarnation is practical, whereas the new RER incarnation isn't. There's a stark contrast between the practicalities of her tactical pullover with base layer in RE5, and the upcoming catsuit-like coveralls that's obviously an unabashed nod to fanboys. Actually, the catsuit looks suspiciously like a wetsuit...
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 12 2010, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

QUOTE (Relative Risk @ Dec 12 2010, 03:52 AM)
You may be a survival horror purist, which I have immense respect for, but Resident Evil is not a "straight action shooter."  Sure, survival horror has evolved over the years, branching off into two factions: Japanese survival horror, which relies heavily on psychological horror elements; and Western survival horror, which relies heavily on action elements and overemphasizes the combat system.  But Resident Evil still features the survival horror cornerstones--story-driven, puzzle-solving, evasion, etc.--although RE5 did go overboard for the sake of sales.

Just featuring a few elements of survival horror doesn't make it a survival horror game, how it plays makes it the kind of game that it is, that being action shooter. And please, point to one instance in RE5 where you get out of a sticky situation without shooting.

That was never claimed.  In fact, by this time in RE5's development process we were all aware of Capcom’s further deviation from RE's roots.

Yes, it was claimed. I can't find the interview where it was stated right at the moment, but it was claimed.

Surely any company representative would tout this line--it is a Resident Evil game, after all--but in the larger context I gather this is referring to a more psychological experience.

The only psychological experience I had during RE4 and RE5 was wrecking my brain trying to comprehend what the %*&! happened to my favorite game franchise.

Moving with your gun equipped while you hysterically cycle your camera around doesn't mean you're playing a shooter.

But the "shoot, shoot, shoot" way it's done in RE4 and RE5 does. You could move and shoot at the same time in Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2, but it remained a true survival horror game.

Third-person is a little tired, but I'm intrigued by the hybrid of third-person and FPS.

They tried that with Dead Aim (Gun Survivor 2 in Japan), but it didn't work out all that well.

Capcom experimented with a hybrid third person/OTS in an early version of RE4 where you did your exploring in the traditional third-person style of the original games, but it zoomed into an OTS view where you could aim anywhere you wanted when you hit the aim button. They need to revisit that system. Konami used that method with Metal Gear Solid 4 and it worked great while still retaining the classic MGS gameplay style. I've said it before and I'll say again that I would be more than happy with a camera system like this (albeit with a little less camera manipulation) as a compromise.

Which is why I stressed bare plunging V-neck; Jill's BSAA uniform in the RE5 incarnation is practical, whereas the new RER incarnation isn't.  There's a stark contrast between the practicalities of her tactical pullover with base layer in RE5, and the upcoming catsuit-like coveralls that's obviously an unabashed nod to fanboys.  Actually, the catsuit looks suspiciously like a wetsuit...

Like I said, Lara Croft influence. I thought catsuits were generally a one-piece deal rather than two as Jill's blouse and combat trousers are, but you're better schooled in women's fashion than I am.
PM Email Poster
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Dec 12 2010, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

a first person re game that isnt a railed shooter would interestme.kinda likeleft 4 dead. but which actual zombies and puzzles.
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 12 2010, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (METALHEADROY7 @ Dec 12 2010, 07:16 PM)
a first person re game that isnt a railed shooter would interestme.kinda likeleft 4 dead. but which actual zombies and puzzles.

I recommend keeping a look out for Resident Evil Survivor, Resident Evil Survivor 2: Code Veronica, and the aforementioned Resident Evil: Dead Aim.
PM Email Poster
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Dec 12 2010, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

you know, it would be awesome if capcom was smartenough to make remakes or ports of the older games to newer systems.
Col. Radec
 Posted: Dec 13 2010, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Group: Umbrella Security Service
Member No.: 10
Credits: 1015

... you do know they did just that, right? Like, several times, in fact. In the N64 and Gamecube days. Hell, even PS2 had its share.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 13 2010, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (METALHEADROY7 @ Dec 12 2010, 08:52 PM)
you know, it would be awesome if capcom was smartenough to make remakes or ports of the older games to newer systems.

Resident Evil was remade on Gamecube as well as being ported over to Wii, RE2, RE3, and CVX were ported over to Gamecube and are also available for DL on PSN, and RE: Director's Cut is also available on PSN.

So how big is the rock you've been living under for the past decade? tongue.gif

At any rate, this is straying too far from the original topic, so let's veer it back to Revelations.
PM Email Poster
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Dec 13 2010, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

im aware of the ports from ps1 and n64 to ps2 and gamecube, but im saying another port or remake to xbox 360. i dont own ps3 or aware what on it.
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 14 2010, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (METALHEADROY7 @ Dec 13 2010, 04:59 PM)
im aware of the ports from ps1 and n64 to ps2 and gamecube, but im saying another port or remake to xbox 360. i dont own ps3 or aware what on it.

Your exact words were "newer systems". In case you weren't aware, PS3 is a newer system alongside Xbox 360. And the Gamecube isn't that old, you know.
PM Email Poster
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Dec 20 2010, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

i know that spartan, just saying like a re-re-port? i dont know whqat the word is but more remakes would be great.
Super Saiyajin 3 Jirrue
 Posted: Dec 28 2010, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team
Member No.: 16
Credits: 765

This is the new animated movie right? Tend to be left behind without a computer for two months.
PM Email Poster Users Website Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 29 2010, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Master Daddy V @ Dec 28 2010, 05:52 PM)
This is the new animated movie right? Tend to be left behind without a computer for two months.

No, that's Damnation. There's a thread about it in the Resident Evil Movies section.
PM Email Poster
Super Saiyajin 3 Jirrue
 Posted: Dec 29 2010, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team
Member No.: 16
Credits: 765

Then what's this one?
PM Email Poster Users Website Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 29 2010, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

A new title for Nintendo's 3DS portable set to release in March, I think.
PM Email Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll