Resident Evil 6 demo released; my review
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Sep 19 2012, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

Let's start this off with a brief overview.

The demo includes playable levels of 3 of the game's 4 campaigns, each with two playable characters to choose from, one right-handed and the other left-handed (although an option to switch which hand your chosen character aims with is included, meaning you can switch back and forth from left or right with each one). Gameplay-wise, each chapter is separate from each other, meaning you don't have to play one to get to another, and Capcom is attempting to cater to each of their audiences with this installment. At least, that's how the demo is anyway. One chapter includes US Secret Service agents Leon S. Kennedy and newcomer Helena Harper, the second includes BSAA field agents Chris Redfield and newcomer Piers Nivans, while the third features newcomer Jake Muller and a returning Sherry Birkin, not seen since Raccoon City at the age of 12.

Universal features
The game uses the same OTS camera that's been a series staple since RE4, but it appears to have been improved as none of the characters block your vision and you get a good field of view. Each individual protagonist is either right-handed or left-handed, but a simple push of a button can switch the player's aim to either shoulder as needed or to suit the individual playing. Some weapons have unique functions that activate by pressing one of the face buttons on the controller, such as Leon going from using one pistol to pulling out his second and dual-wielding them together, or Piers' MP5 sub-machine gun switching back and forth between semi-automatic (or single-shot, in layman's terms) and fully-automatic, or Jake's assault rifle switching between the rifle itself or the 40mm grenade launcher attached to it. You also no longer need to hold a face button to run; simply tilt the analogue stick forward slightly to walk or push it all the way to run. It takes some getting used to, but once you do, it becomes second nature. Additionally, you can do things such as falling backward to evade an enemy and pressing the "fire" button without holding the "aim" button executes a series of melee moves that can be performed any time the player wishes. The ability to walk and aim/reload has been carried over from Revelations and ORC. Enemies still drop ammunition when killed, but from my experience in the demo, it's significantly less than RE4 and RE5.

An attention to detail I noticed was that ammunition is named as individual calibers (9x19mm, 5.56 NATO, and 7.62 NATO, for example) instead of generic "handgun ammunition", "machine gun ammunition", and so on, and this time doesn't shy away from different kinds either, as the double-barreled shotgun used by Helena is a 10 gauge model, whereas the pump-action shotgun found by Jake and Sherry is a 12 gauge. Chris and Jake both use M1911A1-styled pistols referred to as "909s", but these use 9mm. I'm kind of holding out in hopes for .45 ACP to be included in the final game.

Leon/Helena campaign
I'm just going to start off with the gem of the demo. This campaign begins with Leon and Helena holding at gunpoint a zombified US president, who is shambling toward Helena. That's right, a T-virus zombie. Neither want to fire, but eventually Leon makes the choice and puts a bullet in POTUS' head just before he makes a meal out of Helena. At this point, we're graced by a brief appearance by Ingrid Hinnigan, Leon's support operative from RE4 and Degeneration. This chapter, as with both others included, uses the over-the-shoulder camera, but Capcom seems to have gone all-out in an attempt to please the fans of the classic survival horror RE games. The area that this campaign took part in had a very similar atmosphere to classic RE games, with tight, claustrophobic, and very eerie environments. It had plenty of jumps, unlike RE4 and RE5, such as when I thought that corpse on the floor was actually dead---or didn't react the first time I passed it---and it suddenly attacks me when I'm not expecting it to. There was one segment where Helena attempts to unlock a door at the end of a hallway only to set off an alarm which draws in every zombie within hearing distance toward them and was a very frantic fight for survival. Overall, I really felt like I was playing REmake during this chapter. Towards the end, Leon commandeers a police car in an attempt to evade a large number of zombies and---as happened in RE2---wrecks it when a zombie stowaway distracts him from his driving. The player gets limited control of the car this time, though. He even tells Helena to "check the glove compartment" when looking for the keys after initially getting in. Whether this is an intentional throwback to RE2 or just a coincidence, I don't know. If there's any reason for us classic fans to buy this game, it's this chapter right here.

Chris/Piers campaign
If you've played RE5, then you've played this campaign as it's designed for the action shooter RE fans. It opens up in a war-torn eastern European country called Edonia, which was recently the victim of a bioterror attack. Chris and his BSAA team discuss the situation while they oversee the recovery of a dead teammate. Chris then gives his team the usual pep talk about how none of them are expendable and reassures a rookie, who then asks Piers if Chris is "always this awesome". :rofle: It then cuts to gameplay of the BSAA convoy of up-armored Humvees moving through the city with Chris standing up in the open turret of the third vehicle (but for some bizarre reason, none of them actually have any gun turrets, so he's basically an open target for a sniper), when an RPG fired from a militant blows the lead Humvee backwards and on top of the second one in the column (playing it as Piers instead of Chris gives you a first-hand view of this as he's actually in that very Humvee), then everybody dismounts and... well, you've played CoD, so I imagine you can see where this is going. You engage in a firefight with BOW-infused militants armed with Soviet bloc weaponry in one big free-for-all before engaging a BOW similar to those giant-type BOWs that appeared in RE4 and 5 (but easily twice the size) in a narrow street while waiting for the rest of the team to bring an APC in with a heavy machine gun to attack it. After the APC arrives and brings the BOW down, you advance under cover of the vehicle while under attack by militants. The APC then runs over an anti-tank mine and is disabled (but somehow remains physically intact) and you have to continue on foot. You then find your way into a train yard and have to defend against an onslaught of militants until one of your team members can plant explosives and clear a path out.

Jake/Sherry campaign
This campaign attempts to infuse both styles of the first two campaigns into one, but really didn't feel all that different from Chris' campaign to me. It opens also in Edonia, and begins with Jake injecting...something into his neck with a pen-sized injector. The camera cuts to Sherry Birkin, now an adult, watching as several other men use the same type of injector to inject what I would guess to be the same substance into themselves, only they begin to mutate, and Sherry then flees. It cuts back to Jake who encounters one of these new BOWs and, in true Wesker fashion, engages in hand-to-hand combat with it. After dealing with said BOW, Sherry happens upon him, says something about "the cure" being "in his blood", then flashes a badge/ID and attempts to identify herself but Jake cuts her off and tells her they have to go. After this, we're treated to a brief appearance by Ada Wong (or, more literally, Ada Wong's partially-exposed breasts as she's got a low-cut cleavage thing going on http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif ) before gameplay starts. Once we take control, the player then has to fight his/her way through a crowded street rampant with BOWs, using ladders and other means to get around obstacles such as barricades and locked doors. Jake The demo ends when the duo reaches the end of the street and encounters a flaming BOW, likely a boss.

Overall
As already stated, Leon's campaign invokes almost everything I'd expect of an RE game. Atmosphere, soundtrack, feelings of claustrophobia and being trapped, everything is just about right. Capcom seems to have mostly left out the "one shot to the head" aspect of the zombie genre so as to not make it too easy I guess since I've hit a few different ones right in the forehead and even blown off the complete top of the head without them going down. This seemed unnecessary to me as head shots are actually much harder to make than in previous games. You can occasionally still stop a zombie in its tracks with one or two headshots, though. Being able to melee at the press of a button, however, detracted a bit from the survival horror aspect with zombies being fairly easy to down in that manner and made it easier to conserve ammo than it should be, IMO. A bit of laziness that showed through was one of Helena Harper's melee kills being taken unmodified from Josh Stone in RE5. Hopefully it's a placeholder, though.

Conclusion
Will I be getting it? Maybe, but if I do, it's purely for Leon's campaign. I'm still extremely dissatisfied with RE as an action shooter and am not in the least bit impressed by the rest of the game.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Dec 19 2012, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Group: S.T.A.R.S.
Member No.: 8
Credits: 1315

Actually Helena's melee, in which is drops an elbow, isn't the same as Josh's. Josh's melee is available when the Majini is on the ground, and he can drop the People's elbow then, while Helena's is something you do if you're behind a groggy enemy(Zombie or J'uavo), in which she trips them down, then drops a quick elbow. I actually noticed tons of wrestling moves in RE6. Something I though Spartan, of all people, would be able to appreciate as much as I did lol.

Leon totally uses a running bulldog. Jake has a german suplex, similar to Josh from RE5 actually, Ada definately uses a Huricanrana, obviously Helena's elbow drop, Jake even uses a spinning DDT move. Maybe because I'm a wrastling fan, but I did enjoy seeing this moves, as it's obviously been something that's shown up at least since RE4. In RE4, Leon would suplex a Los Illumiado member, and in RE5 Josh had plenty of wrestling moves, ranging from a german suplex, to an elbow drop, and even a dropkick on the more powerful enemies, i.e. Executioner. And Krauser actually adopted this same dropkick in RE Mercs3D on the 3DS. Also, Helena uses a dropkick on bigger enemies in RE6 too.

I really liked the review.

Now, Leon's File, while definately does a great job with the horror, especially earlier on, like the first 3 chapters I think, it does change a bit later on, but is still very RE.

Chris' File, while seems to be the CoD section of RE6, is actually really nice. I still say that Chris stole thet show in RE6. The story, gameplay and all are really nice in Chris' campaign. Not exactly the most horror oriented, but still really nice. The story and Chris' character really make his campaign a great experience.

Jake Muller and Sherry Birkin. I've always been a huge fan of the Albert Wesker/William Birkin duo, as seen in RE0, and mentioned plenty of times throughout the series. This is the offspring of those two characters, and keeping that in mind makes this campaign pretty cool. It's Wesker and Birkin jr.!

Their campaign is probably the least enjoyable in some ways, a lot of ways, but it's still really nice. Seeing Sherry again of course, can't forget about the chick in the red dress from RE5 that some of us though was Sherry. Jake is actually a cool character too. Like that RE5 thing with Sherry, I initially thought that Jake was Steve Burnside, from CVX, of course it isn't, but oh well.

Ada's campaign is nice too I guess. Has it's highs and lows. Definately focuses more on puzzles than any of the others, and most importantly it is a single player experience! I'm actually pretty tired of RE being a co-op experience. Whether you are playing with a buddy, or an AI controlled Helena/Piers/Sherry, etc.

But yes, overall, RE6 is a really great game. I'd suggest it for any RE fan, and anybody else too. I'm picky to where I had to change the controls, it bugs me how RE's default controls are now more....action shooter-like, holding L to aim and R to shoot. I don't like that.

I do like the melee's that can be performed when just standing. It's actually like Kevin's kick from Outbreak. Of course you now have a 3 melee combination that you can do. That may be a tad unnecessary, but I'm ok with it. Using this melee's, as well as the Quick-shot, take away from you Stamina anyway, so it balances out well enough. The "Quick-Shot" is actually pretty nice, and if you think about it, kind of like classic RE. I mean, when you used to aim, it'd point right towards the enemy, and the quick-shot does just that.

Overall, great RE game. I'll put it up there with my fav's, RE1 and CVX. I hope RE7 continues with this awesomeness.

Negatives, well I didn't like how the story had too much going on. I think it's been mentioned how Capcom tried to cater to everyone. Too many different styles and things going on. Just stick with one thing. Otherwise, still super fun. Has the horror, survival(actually Chris' File impliments the survival aspect more than any of the other campaigns, as ammo is pretty sparse it seems), the great cinimatic experience that RE has, as well as RE's very unique charm. Chris is funny, as he has been since Roger Craig Smith took over the role I think, just a cool and fun character. Like I've said, Chris stole the show in RE I think. Cheers!
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Dec 21 2012, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Dec 19 2012, 10:59 PM)
Actually Helena's melee, in which is drops an elbow, isn't the same as Josh's. Josh's melee is available when the Majini is on the ground, and he can drop the People's elbow then, while Helena's is something you do if you're behind a groggy enemy(Zombie or J'uavo), in which she trips them down, then drops a quick elbow.

Not in the demo. There it was taken unmodified from Josh in RE5. From what you tell me about the final game, though, it appears it was just a placeholder.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Dec 21 2012, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Dec 21 2012, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (Spike991 @ Dec 19 2012, 10:59 PM)
Actually Helena's melee, in which is drops an elbow, isn't the same as Josh's. Josh's melee is available when the Majini is on the ground, and he can drop the People's elbow then, while Helena's is something you do if you're behind a groggy enemy(Zombie or J'uavo), in which she trips them down, then drops a quick elbow.

Not in the demo. There it was taken unmodified from Josh in RE5. From what you tell me about the final game, though, it appears it was just a placeholder.

Oh I see. I didn't play as Helena in the demo.

I actually very reluctantly played the demo, as a friend of mine insisted that I did. I did skip the cutscene when I played though. I really didn't want to ruin RE6 like I had with RE5, by watching the major spoilers. I've learned not to do that.

IDK if anybody cares about SPOILERS here, but there is a pretty funny little nod to RE2 a little after that part with the Police Car nod.

When Leon told Helena to check the glovebox, I immediately thought of RE2, with Claire finding that Browning in the glove department.

Alas, Leon's brother/clone wasn't in the back seat this time around. But Leon did wreck this squad car, just like he did back in the day. Obviously Leon needs to retake his driving test at the DMV.
PM
Gene
 Posted: Dec 21 2012, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Trainee
Group: Civilian
Member No.: 34
Credits: 120

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Dec 21 2012, 06:33 PM)

Alas, Leon's brother/clone wasn't in the back seat this time around. But Leon did wreck this squad car, just like he did back in the day. Obviously Leon needs to retake his driving test at the DMV.

Haha, to be honest I think everyone who drives a car in RE6 needs to retake their test... I've never known anyone flip a bus because they ran over someone tongue.gif
PM
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 20 2013, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

I wish I could be playing RE6, but I lent it to a friend. Dammit.

Oh, you going to get/play RER on Ps3 when it comes out Grimes? Or anybody else?

It looks so good. I'm glad I've gotten to play it on 3DS already, but it looks amazing on console. The graphics are so pretty, and sound will be ten times more pleasant to the ears. I'm really looking forward to it.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll