Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) This topic is Closed Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Getting disenfranchised with RE
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 28 2012, 05:56 PM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

You'd think, but you are so blinded by your negative biased opinion that you can't call it objectively.

You are in fact falling into the popular crowd by voting I Hate RE4. That's probably the most popular way to look at it.

And that deal I made definately pertains to your problems with what RE has become, which isn't so different than what it was to begin with, and certainly not so different from the past couple games leading up to RE4 anyway.

It pertains to your problems of no horror and no survival aspects to it. To what you do a fresh run through RE4, or a quick Mercs run would show whether what you say really makes any sense at all.

You getting scarred while being chased by Dr. Salvador would favor my opinion. You running out of ammo too. Health included.

And I'm not talking about Leon getting beheaded. Probably even scarier when you barely avoid him. To hear him getting close, then maybe you turn around and he's right up in your face screaming while swinging his chainsaw....how underappreciated things like that are.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 29 2012, 01:37 AM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Feb 28 2012, 04:56 PM)
You'd think, but you are so blinded by your negative biased opinion that you can't call it objectively.

No, my opinion is not biased. It's formed from playing the game, not because someone told me not to like RE4. You're trying to tell me to discount my own experience from which this view is drawn and to instead feel the same way you do because you think I should.

You are in fact falling into the popular crowd by voting I Hate RE4. That's probably the most popular way to look at it.

No, the popular opinion, by far, is "RE4 is made RE good!" and such BS. Falling into the popular crowd is to believe something is good because people say it's good, like you're trying to make me do.

And that deal I made definately pertains to your problems with what RE has become, which isn't so different than what it was to begin with, and certainly not so different from the past couple games leading up to RE4 anyway.

They're quite a bit different from my experience.

It pertains to your problems of no horror and no survival aspects to it. To what you do a fresh run through RE4, or a quick Mercs run would show whether what you say really makes any sense at all.

What exactly would that prove? It wouldn't make you sit back and accept that I don't like action shooter stank on my survival horror.

You getting scarred while being chased by Dr. Salvador would favor my opinion. You running out of ammo too. Health included.

And I'm not talking about Leon getting beheaded. Probably even scarier when you barely avoid him. To hear him getting close, then maybe you turn around and he's right up in your face screaming while swinging his chainsaw....how underappreciated things like that are.

Except Dr. Salvador doesn't really scare me. Of course, you probably won't believe that.
^
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 29 2012, 09:24 PM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

It's clearly biased. Denial, denial, denial!

You refuse to acknowledge anything about RE4 that is actually good, because it seems like you wanna only see the bad.

No way, RE4 is the devil is definately the most popular opinion. And that's the crowd you are falling in with.

Shooting barrels to blow up enemies seems the same to me in RE3 & CVX as it does in RE4.

And another thing you have to account for when saying RE4 isn't scary to you, is the fact that you played RE1 back when you were just a wee little guy, and now you are desensitized to all that, and aren't going to be all scared like you once were.

That said, RE4 has plenty of horror.

What about Lickers, afraid of those?

And you playing through would allow me to see you jump at the scary parts and be all frantic and have a great time playing like I know you do.

You probably have a huge grin on your face the whole time you play RE4 from how much you love it. happy.gif
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 29 2012, 11:34 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Feb 29 2012, 08:24 PM)
It's clearly biased. Denial, denial, denial!

If my opinion is biased, then I don't see how yours isn't. My opinion is drawn from experience playing the game. It can't get any more objective than that.

You refuse to acknowledge anything about RE4 that is actually good, because it seems like you wanna only see the bad.

Why do you keep pushing me to think what you do? I've played the game multiple times and, from a Resident Evil standpoint, it's too much action shooter for me.

No way, RE4 is the devil is definately the most popular opinion. And that's the crowd you are falling in with.

Whatever. It's a fact that more people like RE4 than don't like it, so I don't really care which you think is the popular opinion, since I make up my own mind instead of liking what people tell me I should.

Shooting barrels to blow up enemies seems the same to me in RE3 & CVX as it does in RE4.

Putting one foot in front of the other when you walk is the same, too. The way a bullet leaves the chamber of a pistol is the same, too. Pressing X to run is the same, too. Using the analogue stick to turn right or left is the same, too.

You compare aesthetic similarities, I'm talking about the core gameplay. There's a big difference.

And another thing you have to account for when saying RE4 isn't scary to you, is the fact that you played RE1 back when you were just a wee little guy, and now you are desensitized to all that, and aren't going to be all scared like you once were.

I wasn't a "wee little guy", I was 14. And years before RE even existed, I was watching hardcore horror flicks. That said, the original games still always gave me a sense of dread and uneasiness of what waited for me around the next corner or through the next door. RE4 and 5, they just don't do that.

That said, RE4 has plenty of horror.

I disagree, for reasons I've already explained.

What about Lickers, afraid of those?

When I first encountered them, yes. I've now fought them hundreds of times, so they don't any longer. But the thing about it is that the ganados, Dr. Salvador, Regenerator, none of them really bothered me at all the very first time. Kind of hard to be afraid of a chainsaw-wielding maniac when I grew up watching the various Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies, don't you think?

And you playing through would allow me to see you jump at the scary parts and be all frantic and have a great time playing like I know you do.

You probably have a huge grin on your face the whole time you play RE4 from how much you love it. happy.gif

Like you know I do? You don't know of anything I do, so stop pretending like you do. Pretty much all of my Mercs runs result in me cursing loudly at the screen because the bastards won't stop attacking me from behind or in my blind spots, or they won't stop throwing dynamite at me, or they won't stop firing rocket launchers at me. That's not survival or horror, that's an annoyance, only exacerbated by the fact that it's all run and shoot, run and shoot, now. Remember RE3 Mercs? Compare it to today's Mercs game and try to convince yourself that it "hasn't changed much".
^
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 1 2012, 03:49 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

My opinion is the fairest in the land. I call it right down the middle.

I'm only pushing for you to take a look in the proverbial mirror and see how ludicrous you are being. There's nothing wrong with RE4, but there clearly is something wrong with your judging it.

I've even asked before for you to give a completely objective review of RE4. From beginning to finish. Going over all the pros and cons in detail. Instead you just keep coming up with some bogus excuses really.

Like what you want, that's cool with me, even if it's a completely negatively biased "opinion" that's really unprovoked TBH.

You see, how you completely ignore the fact that it controls perfectly as an RE game. The gameplay is a bit different. The way certain things are set up are a bit different, but on the whole, it's still very RE, and plays very RE.

I've admitted to the ammo situation, especially since playing RER and really seeing what Survival is, comparing it to RE4 and RE5. But that one thing, enemies dropping ammunition, is such a minor thing, that I ain't gonna let it bring me down.

I wasn't a "wee little guy", I was 14

Same thing.

And while we're on the subject, what exactly is a "Hardcore Horror Flick"?

RE4 Has Plenty Of Horror.

I can completely sympathize with the lack of horror and dread in RE5, but not with RE4. It's not even the same at all. It's horribly ignorant to group those two together like that.

Sure they play pretty similar, in a lot of ways, but they are so different, especially when it comes down to the horror aspect.

Desensitized to the stuff you see in RE. I wasn't at all disgusted or fazed by Uroboros when I first saw it...I was pretty indifferent really.

I remember playing the games and loving the cool, awesome, freaky and scary creatures you'd encounter. Certainly not the dumb ass zombies that were in every game, but the creatures.

Hunters, Lickers, Regenerators, Yawn, Lurkers, mutations like Mendez in RE4, or the T-002 inside it's tube in REmake, or the ProtoTyrant in RE0. I'd even throw the Reapers in there.

You mention blind spots. There's another similarity between RE4 and Pre-RE4 RE games. RE1 had camera angles which had blind spots. RE4 has an Over The Shoulder camera which also has blind spots.

And I can't help it if you suck at RE4/RE5/RE3? Mercs.

I mean it can be frustrating sometimes sure, and clearly I'm not referring to Mercs as an example of the horror and survival in RE.

But even when playing Mercs, you can still have those dreadful feelings and that horror, if not just exclusively from knowing your about to die.

You know, having a huge combo, or a massive score on the line and you're about to die because of a big ass Executioner, that's something that'll get your palms pretty sweaty, and might break your concentration.

And I don't have to pretend to know that you experience all these great things when you play, but just simply choose to adhere to only the negative aspects of said games.
^
Ashe
 Posted: Mar 1 2012, 09:40 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

@Ashe, the survival aspect is always there. And it's especially alive when you got a chainsaw ganado in yo face with a loud chainsaw as he screams before he beheads you.

It's there if you make it there for yourself I think, at least for the most part. With enough ammo and health items, even the Leatherface wannabes are not a real threat. The game did have a few difficult parts, but mostly in the beginning and mostly when first playing and not knowing anything about it.

RE4 was the beginning of the end so to speak. They retained a bit of the survival horror and puzzle solving, while introducing the switch over to action shooter. It's actually the right move in such a case, to switch it outright without a bit of a buffer would have lost them way more than the way they opted, progressively switching it to complete action shooter. Which most likely will be what this next game will be, an outright action shooter, and I don't play RE for the action shooting.... I play for the survival horror aspect and the puzzle solving aspects. I like to use my mind more when playing a game. tongue.gif I didn't like RE4, played it, beat it, and tried replaying it... just not my cup of tea....
^
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 2 2012, 01:19 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Ashe @ Mar 1 2012, 10:40 AM)
It's there if you make it there for yourself I think, at least for the most part. With enough ammo and health items, even the Leatherface wannabes are not a real threat. The game did have a few difficult parts, but mostly in the beginning and mostly when first playing and not knowing anything about it.

RE4 was the beginning of the end so to speak. They retained a bit of the survival horror and puzzle solving, while introducing the switch over to action shooter. It's actually the right move in such a case, to switch it outright without a bit of a buffer would have lost them way more than the way they opted, progressively switching it to complete action shooter. Which most likely will be what this next game will be, an outright action shooter, and I don't play RE for the action shooting.... I play for the survival horror aspect and the puzzle solving aspects. I like to use my mind more when playing a game. tongue.gif I didn't like RE4, played it, beat it, and tried replaying it... just not my cup of tea....

It's not about having to go out of your way to see what makes RE4 an RE game. It is undeniably so.

RE4 had an interesting plot. Even if it's overall not a great story, comparing it to certain others, it's still perfectly fine.

RE4 may have been the Beginning Of The End, as far as taking a larger leap forward, but it's certainly not guilty of being "some action shooter". Not at all.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 2 2012, 06:50 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

Spike, why can't you accept that I don't have the same opinion of RE4 as you? I bought the game and played it hoping it'd be another great installment of RE. That's as objective as can possibly be. But it didn't turn out as I'd hoped it would, it's too much action shooter and not even remotely survival horror. If you think otherwise, that's your business, but the only thing that makes my opinion biased to you is that it isn't the same as yours.
^
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 01:07 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Mar 2 2012, 07:50 PM)
Spike, why can't you accept that I don't have the same opinion of RE4 as you? I bought the game and played it hoping it'd be another great installment of RE. That's as objective as can possibly be. But it didn't turn out as I'd hoped it would, it's too much action shooter and not even remotely survival horror. If you think otherwise, that's your business, but the only thing that makes my opinion biased to you is that it isn't the same as yours.

I accept that you have a different opinion fine, but I do not accept that it, Didn't have any survival or horror. That's not a matter of opinion.

RE4 had Survival and Horror.

Source: Fact.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 04:54 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Mar 3 2012, 12:07 AM)

I accept that you have a different opinion fine, but I do not accept that it, Didn't have any survival or horror. That's not a matter of opinion.

People also say it's a fact that there's something weird happening in the Bermuda Triangle, but all the proof shows that it's just one big, ordinary patch of water.
^
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 09:14 PM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Mar 3 2012, 05:54 PM)

People also say it's a fact that there's something weird happening in the Bermuda Triangle, but all the proof shows that it's just one big, ordinary patch of water.

So what you are saying is, Spartan's Opinion Of RE4 = Bermuda Triangle?

Spike's Opinion Of RE4 = The Patch Of Water.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 4 2012, 01:50 AM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Mar 3 2012, 08:14 PM)

No, more the other way around: You tell me there's survival and horror, but all my searches have turned up nothing but a one among a million action shooters.
^
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 4 2012, 02:45 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Mar 4 2012, 02:50 AM)
QUOTE (Spike991 @ Mar 3 2012, 08:14 PM)

No, more the other way around: You tell me there's survival and horror, but all my searches have turned up nothing but a one among a million action shooters.

We both know how untrue that is.

You had to sleep with a Night Light everytime you went to bed for a week after playing RE4.

And you were stressed from how challenging the puzzles were for you.

You are just gonna put everything Pre-RE4 up on a pedastool where it Will Not be touched by anything else ever. Clearly biased and stubborn with this particular situation and cannot see the err of your ways, when it's so obvious that I'm right here.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 4 2012, 08:15 AM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Mar 4 2012, 01:45 AM)
We both know how untrue that is.

You had to sleep with a Night Light everytime you went to bed for a week after playing RE4.

And you were stressed from how challenging the puzzles were for you.

You are just gonna put everything Pre-RE4 up on a pedastool where it Will Not be touched by anything else ever. Clearly biased and stubborn with this particular situation and cannot see the err of your ways, when it's so obvious that I'm right here.

Now you're getting insulting.

The reason I hold the older games in higher regard is because the gameplay was something unique that actually held me, the gameplay from RE4 onward isn't and just doesn't. That's the reason I'm losing more and more interest in RE. This feeling comes from having played the games and saw for myself what they've become. No amount of fanboy prodding by you can change that.

The chances of RE6 actually being anything other than an action shooter just like RE4 and RE5 are about as high as Chevy Chase becoming president of the world.
^
Ashe
 Posted: Mar 4 2012, 12:01 PM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

It's not about having to go out of your way to see what makes RE4 an RE game. It is undeniably so.

RE4 had an interesting plot. Even if it's overall not a great story, comparing it to certain others, it's still perfectly fine.

RE4 may have been the Beginning Of The End, as far as taking a larger leap forward, but it's certainly not guilty of being "some action shooter". Not at all.

In a way it is, because I shouldn't have to go out of my way to make a survival horror game survival horror. The main components in a survival horror game are the surviving and the horror. While RE4 does have some of the horror, the abundance of ammo and health items brings the surviving aspect to a screeching halt. If I had no other problems with the game, and I do, that one point is enough to ruin it for me.

In fact it is classified as a Third Person Shooter, Horror, Action-Adventure game. This is from places like IGN.com, Gamefaqs, Playstation.com, Amazon.com and Wikepedia. So there is no denying it being an Action Shooter game.

^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » This topic is Closed Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Mobile Version Last Visit: --