Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll

Getting disenfranchised with RE
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 23 2012, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

I posted this on REF, but I want to post it here and see what those here who aren't on REF have to say.

This franchise is no longer the survival horror gem I fell in love with, it's become nothing more than a Call of Duty clone where the entire objective is shoot, shoot, shoot. It no longer has puzzles, it no longer has any scares, it's gone from being a deep, suspense-driven experience to just another FPS for the casual crowd to blow through in an hour before returning it to Gamefly the next day. You can defend the new games all you want, you can tell me that the survival horror is "still there" but that I just have to "look deep" to find it, you can say whatever you want, I really could care much, much less. The fact here is that a game franchise I have loved for years is, for all intents and purposes, dead, and no amount of T-virus can resurrect it. You can all tell me you understand my position or whatever all you want, but honestly, I don't think any of you really can.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 24 2012, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Group: S.T.A.R.S.
Member No.: 8
Credits: 1315

It isn't? It's becoming?

Well what is wrong with it? I mean exagerations about CoD aside, what is your real issue with the RE franchise today? And how does that make you feel?
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 24 2012, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

It's gone from being unique survival horror experience to just another action shooter.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 24 2012, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Feb 24 2012, 09:52 AM)
It's gone from being unique survival horror experience to just another action shooter.

It was a very unique experience, but it was getting stale too. Of course not if they continued to change little things. Like in RE2, RE3, CVX, etc. And RE4, RE5. The games have always been changing, and drifting further away from what they originally were.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 24 2012, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

But not so drastic a change as RE4 and 5 were. You used to be forced to conserve every round of ammunition that you could for the next Hunter or Licker you came across. Puzzles would be so complex you'd be stuck for days trying to figure them out. The creepy, horror movie atmosphere. What's all that been replaced with? Shooting, more shooting, run some, and then more shooting.

You and Turo are calling it "madness" over on REF, but what's so "mad" about my dissatisfaction with what Resident Evil has become?
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 25 2012, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Feb 24 2012, 11:59 PM)
But not so drastic a change as RE4 and 5 were. You used to be forced to conserve every round of ammunition that you could for the next Hunter or Licker you came across. Puzzles would be so complex you'd be stuck for days trying to figure them out. The creepy, horror movie atmosphere. What's all that been replaced with? Shooting, more shooting, run some, and then more shooting.

You and Turo are calling it "madness" over on REF, but what's so "mad" about my dissatisfaction with what Resident Evil has become?

RE4 was not THAT drastic of a change.

It had survival(even if it was to a lesser extent), definately had horror, puzzles for sure, and the creepy atmosphere, that was certainly there.

When RE4 was such a fresh, new experience...I wish I could do that one again.

I will take what you're saying into consideration when discussing RE5 however, because while it had a better story than it's predecessor, and stuff like that, it had far less horror, and way, way more action. The creepy atmosphere was really absent quite a bit, but not entirely.

Separate Ways is really the first thing I saw that have some overthetop action stuff like I didn't like at all, but it's whatever.

The horror was very much alive though, even up til RE4.

And I do feel optimistic about the next couple of releases, they look promising. It's such a great time to be an RE fan. Damnation too!

What's mad is how you seem to be ignoring all the great stuff about RE4, that makes it what RE should be, and just hanging onto a few things you don't like, and just seemingly hating the overall product of it. Get off of RE4.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 25 2012, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

I don't see any of that stuff as so great. The creepy horror movie atmosphere is gone, the ganados are stupid, the oh-so-popular Regenerators weren't that scary, the flaming oven ganado didn't get me, the plot absolutely sucked. What else is there beyond that? Just a million different guns and shooting.

Have you ever wondered why a zombie is so frightening, even though it's slow and shambling? Humankind dominates this planet today, but that wasn't always so. It's still ingrained in our psyches to fear predators. The fear of being eaten is a remnant of our primal past, from a time when we didn't dominate the earth.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 25 2012, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Feb 25 2012, 12:53 PM)
I don't see any of that stuff as so great. The creepy horror movie atmosphere is gone, the ganados are stupid, the oh-so-popular Regenerators weren't that scary, the flaming oven ganado didn't get me, the plot absolutely sucked. What else is there beyond that? Just a million different guns and shooting.

Have you ever wondered why a zombie is so frightening, even though it's slow and shambling? Humankind dominates this planet today, but that wasn't always so. It's still ingrained in our psyches to fear predators. The fear of being eaten is a remnant of our primal past, from a time when we didn't dominate the earth.

Wow I can't believe you just said that, for real.

The creepy horror movie atmosphere is present and alive. The ganados were stupid? So were zombies. If you're dissing the Ganado itself as an enemy, well wrong again. Nemesis is basically the same thing.

Parasite + Tyrant = Nemesis Parasite + Human = Ganado

The Regenerators were awesome, surely you are just hating on RE4 so much that you don't even care to see the good.

I mean Lickers aren't scary. Nor are regular slow ass zombies.

I mean come on, they are just super scary in anything and everything Prior to RE4, but RE4 and everything post is completely BS and not scary is what you seem to be thinking. How's my aim?
PM
Ashe
 Posted: Feb 25 2012, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Member No.: 27
Credits: 1370

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Feb 24 2012, 07:52 AM)

I agree with you 100% It started with Resident Evil 4 and has progressively gotten worse. At least with 4 there were some of those http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/wtf.gif jump moments.... *remembers stupid wannabe leatherface posers* tongue.gif And there were some puzzles, admittedly not very hard ones, but puzzles just the same. http://209.85.48.12/11464/135/emo/fish.gif

As for survival... well even 4 didn't have much of that, ammo was very abundant as was almost everything. I for one miss the tense moments of "please oh please let me find ammo.... run... run....* and you ran and avoided the critters cause you HAD to.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 25 2012, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Feb 25 2012, 04:56 PM)
The creepy horror movie atmosphere is present and alive.

Where was it? I didn't find it.

The ganados were stupid? So were zombies. If you're dissing the Ganado itself as an enemy, well wrong again. Nemesis is basically the same thing.

Parasite + Tyrant = Nemesis    Parasite + Human = Ganado

That same logic says that an M16 and an AK-47 are the exact same thing, which they obviously aren't.

The Regenerators were awesome, surely you are just hating on RE4 so much that you don't even care to see the good.

I'm not hating on anything, I don't see any good.

I mean come on, they are just super scary in anything and everything Prior to RE4, but RE4 and everything post is completely BS and not scary is what you seem to be thinking. How's my aim?

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I've played RE4 many times and I just can't see it.

Spike, I'm not hating on people for liking either RE4 or RE5, it's perfectly okay to do so. But I just can't see what you're telling me is there.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 26 2012, 02:13 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

Clearly RE4 was maybe the "START" of what negativity you're talking about, but it certainly isn't guilty of the crimes you seem to want to put on it. The glove don't fit, so just aquit.

Now Spartan, have you tried playing RE4 with your eyes open??

Otherwise, it just seems like you want to see negative.

And honestly, it's the kind of thing where just taking someone's word for it, you know, you can sit here and tell me how not scary, and how no puzzles are there and all that, but I don't believe it one bit.

And while RE4 had an abundance of ammunition, simply because the enemies dropped it. It still wasn't so bad, considering how much you had to use on MORE enemies, and how crappy I'm sure we all were with aiming when we first started.

But yeah, Health, there were so many times were I didn't have enough.

In fact, that entire first part of the game is perfect. I mean up to where he says, "Where's everyone going, bingo". I remember struggling to survive past the hordes of ganados and that Dr. Salvador. Struggling with health, ammo, etc.

Of course once you've gone through so many times, and have read, heard and then formed all of those negative opinions, it's kinda hard to remember the great things, and just overlook them in favor of...too much ammo.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 27 2012, 02:12 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Feb 26 2012, 01:13 AM)
Clearly RE4 was maybe the "START" of what negativity you're talking about, but it certainly isn't guilty of the crimes you seem to want to put on it. The glove don't fit, so just aquit.

The hand it's trying to be fit on is too big, in this case.

Now Spartan, have you tried playing RE4 with your eyes open??

I won't even dignify that with a response.

And honestly, it's the kind of thing where just taking someone's word for it, you know, you can sit here and tell me how not scary, and how no puzzles are there and all that, but I don't believe it one bit.

Believe what you want, but the franchise today (including RE4) is just too rampant with action shooter stink for me, which is why I'm getting disenfranchises with it. But here you are acting as if there was some kind of official RE fan convention where it was decided that every fan has to be in complete agreement with what RE has become.

And while RE4 had an abundance of ammunition, simply because the enemies dropped it. It still wasn't so bad, considering how much you had to use on MORE enemies, and how crappy I'm sure we all were with aiming when we first started.

Yes, all the SOCOM, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and Metal Gear games in my collection predating RE4 and this is all just a result of me being "bad at aiming". rolleyes.gif I was doubletapping virtual bad guys when most of today's RE fan base was still playing children's games like Spyro.

But yeah, Health, there were so many times were I didn't have enough.

I never had any complaints about the health system.

In fact, that entire first part of the game is perfect. I mean up to where he says, "Where's everyone going, bingo".

That's very debatable.

Struggling with ammo

Which I never did because there was so much...

Of course once you've gone through so many times, and have read, heard and then formed all of those negative opinions, it's kinda hard to remember the great things, and just overlook them in favor of...too much ammo.

If my feelings here were based on repetitive playthroughs, I'd have many of the same complaints about RE1, REmake, RE2, my favorite RE3, CVX, and Dead Aim. But I don't.
PM Email Poster
Ashe
 Posted: Feb 27 2012, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Member No.: 27
Credits: 1370

The abundance of health and ammo items is a big issue when it comes it supposed to be being a "survival horror" game, those are the biggest issues to survival right there already covered. They effectively eliminated the "survival" aspect of the game it seems. Which is what drew me into it in the first place, as I hate frickin' stupid action shooters.... http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/harhar.gif
PM
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 27 2012, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

But you did respond.

It's just that I know RE4 is true to RE, and you know it too, but are just trying to be a rebel. Without a cause.

The health situation is part of the Survival aspect, which is what I'm saying is alive and well in RE4.

And you can't expect me to believe that you had no ammo problems, ever. That's bogus.

@Ashe, the survival aspect is always there. And it's especially alive when you got a chainsaw ganado in yo face with a loud chainsaw as he screams before he beheads you.

I'm so serious about actually being able to watch somebody play RE4, or even just a Merc run, so I can see how boring stale, and lame and not scary RE4 really is for them.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 28 2012, 01:08 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike991 @ Feb 27 2012, 05:57 PM)
It's just that I know RE4 is true to RE, and you know it too, but are just trying to be a rebel. Without a cause.

I think I'm a much better judge of what I know than you are. I'm making up my own mind instead of falling in with the popular opinion. Call it whatever you want, I don't care.

And you can't expect me to believe that you had no ammo problems, ever. That's bogus.

Well, I didn't. That's just a simple fact.

@Ashe, the survival aspect is always there. And it's especially alive when you got a chainsaw ganado in yo face with a loud chainsaw as he screams before he beheads you.

That's not survival or horror, watching Leon get beheaded with a chainsaw is pure comedy. Capcom should have put a laugh track in the game for it.

I'm so serious about actually being able to watch somebody play RE4, or even just a Merc run, so I can see how boring stale, and lame and not scary RE4 really is for them.

I'm sure you are, but that has no bearing on my problems with what RE has become.
PM Email Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 2 3 ... Last » Closed Topic Start new topic Start Poll