Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Resident Evil Revelations 3DS, Nuff said
Super Saiyajin 3 Jirrue
 Posted: Dec 29 2010, 06:48 PM

BSAA Charlie Team

Group:
Civilian
Member ID:
Total Post:

A Portable Set?
^
Col. Radec
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 03:59 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
Umbrella Security Service
Member ID:
Total Post:

Yes. A 3DS Portable, which is set to release in March.
^
Relative Risk
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 06:22 AM

Resident Blogger/Industry Insider

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Spartan198 @ Dec 12 2010, 03:05 PM)
Just featuring a few elements of survival horror doesn't make it a survival horror game, how it plays makes it the kind of game that it is, that being action shooter. And please, point to one instance in RE5 where you get out of a sticky situation without shooting.

Aside from those sun mirror "puzzles," none come to mind. But I was speaking in general terms of the series, since you did the same.

Mikami added innovative gameplay mechanics with virtually each new RE title, most notably with RE4--where this action deviation originated. Taking it to the next level and deviating even further from traditional survival horror was Takeuchi's decision, but let's not kid ourselves...he didn't need to push the RE4 gameplay much harder before it descended over the cliff.

My overall point is that genres evolve. Resident Evil, despite your preference for traditional old-school Japanese survival horror, is still marketed as survival horror--a broad genre, ever-expanding and evolving, in an era when video game genres are becoming increasingly diverse. And might I add, Japanese companies are marketing more towards Western consumers--their larger sales revenue.

Resident Evil will continue to reinvent itself; once more, from the looks of it, with RER.

Yes, it was claimed. I can't find the interview where it was stated right at the moment, but it was claimed.

Well, this article quoting Takeuchi is dated all the way back in 2005 and neglects to mention returning to the series' roots. So, I would love to read an earlier interview, if ever unearthed, quoting a company representative to the contrary.

The RE5 Art Book covered the development process in great detail; from early stages when the game markedly resembled RE4, onto what we now know as the disappointing release. Let us all observe a moment of silence for what could've been.

The only psychological experience I had during RE4 and RE5 was wrecking my brain trying to comprehend what the %*&! happened to my favorite game franchise.

Not sure what RE4 or RE5 has to do with marketing RER... But thanks for sharing. Here, perhaps this'll help assuage your concerns over RER:

Capcom is planning to bring the fear factor back to Resident Evil with a new 3DS horror game that could be the company's scariest since Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

"We want a scarier game than before," Masachika Kawada, the producer of Revelations, told Famitsu. "One that avoids the style of RE4 and instead goes with the old style up to RE3, where you're solving puzzles and exploring.

"Recent games in the series have been more about fast excitement, but fear is the main drive of this game from the start - something so scary to the player, he'll instinctively want to run as fast as he can. Suspense plays a key part here."

The game's setting will help Capcom bring the scares back. As director Koushi Nakanishi explains: "The ship's innards are dark, subdued, and packed with fear. The 3D screen really recreates the feel of peering into a corridor and thinking you can see something on the other end - that's why we're concentrating on the horror in this game; because it's such a good fit with the hardware."

Judging by the latest Resident Evil Revelations screenshots, Capcom is well on the way to achieving its aims.
But the "shoot, shoot, shoot" way it's done in RE4 and RE5 does. You could move and shoot at the same time in Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2, but it remained a true survival horror game.

...And that has what to do with your original criticism of RER, that somehow moving and shooting automatically denotes an "action shooter"? If that were true, Silent Hill would be an action shooter.

They tried that with Dead Aim (Gun Survivor 2 in Japan), but it didn't work out all that well.

Capcom experimented with a hybrid third person/OTS in an early version of RE4 where you did your exploring in the traditional third-person style of the original games, but it zoomed into an OTS view where you could aim anywhere you wanted when you hit the aim button. They need to revisit that system. Konami used that method with Metal Gear Solid 4 and it worked great while still retaining the classic MGS gameplay style. I've said it before and I'll say again that I would be more than happy with a camera system like this (albeit with a little less camera manipulation) as a compromise.

Personally, I cannot stand a combat system that relies on OTS aiming; there's no reason for being your own blind spot. Now, as far as a camera system compromise on a home console title, I'm all for it. But keep in mind this title is for a handheld--in which case, programming gameplay mechanics is different, to say the least. Choosing an OTS/FPS hybrid makes sense on a three inch screen.

Like I said, Lara Croft influence. I thought catsuits were generally a one-piece deal rather than two as Jill's blouse and combat trousers are, but you're better schooled in women's fashion than I am.

There's a stark contrast between the practicalities of her tactical pullover with base layer in RE5, and the upcoming catsuit-like coveralls. Did you miss that comparison I made?

Yes, a catsuit is a one-piece, which is what I said. The RE5 picture you provided has no connection to the RER incarnation. Jill is not wearing that blouse (as you continue to call it) in the RER pictures; she is clearly wearing a catsuit in the new RER screenshots, concept art, and even in the 3DS gameplay clip.

Anyway, RER is giving me this mild Extermination vibe, anyone else? I can't believe I'm excited for a handheld again... What a throwback.

Update: Resident Evil Revelations will be playable at Nintendo World 2011 (Jan. 8th-10th), in addition to a detailed stage show.

^
Col. Radec
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 07:12 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Relative Risk @ Jan 5 2011, 05:11 AM)
My overall point is that genres evolve.  Resident Evil, despite your preference for traditional old-school Japanese survival horror, is still marketed as survival horror--a broad genre, ever-expanding and evolving, in an era when video game genres are becoming increasingly diverse.  And might I add, Japanese companies are marketing more towards Western consumers--their larger sales revenue.

Resident Evil will continue to reinvent itself; once more, from the looks of it, with RER.

Survival horror is psychological, like you said. I find it that if your heart is hammering, and you're trying to get away from something so you can survive, and it wants to EAT you or do something horrible that'll leave you in chunks and pieces, well... that's survival horror. Doesn't matter if you got big guns or not, whether you're a team of super soldiers or just some lone everyday joe. Point is, you're still surviving. In horror.

QUOTE (Relative Risk @ Jan 5 2011, 05:11 AM)
The RE5 Art Book covered the development process in great detail; from early stages when the game markedly resembled RE4, onto what we now know as the disappointing release. Let us all observe a moment of silence for what could've been.

Oh, my. Lone Wolf Chris, Rebel Leader Jill, Badass Partner Barry, Secretary Excella, Experiment Irving, Pirate Wesker... NPC Sheva?! Along with the scrapped plans like Chris jumping pillars with waiting zombies below, Chris and Barry's Epic Manly Adventures, and not to mention the old-school monsters in the new-school feel...

*Sniff* What could have been, indeed!
^
Super Saiyajin 3 Jirrue
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 10:18 PM

BSAA Charlie Team

Group:
Civilian
Member ID:
Total Post:

Who are they going to put in this one? Same characters or are they actually going to mix it up this time?
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jan 5 2011, 10:46 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Master Daddy V @ Jan 5 2011, 09:07 PM)
Who are they going to put in this one? Same characters or are they actually going to mix it up this time?

Chris and Jill.
^
Super Saiyajin 3 Jirrue
 Posted: Jan 6 2011, 11:32 AM

BSAA Charlie Team

Group:
Civilian
Member ID:
Total Post:

Again? I know their the biggest Characters in the series but let's try to give the others some breathing room for gods sake.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jan 6 2011, 06:53 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Master Daddy V @ Jan 6 2011, 10:21 AM)
Again? I know their the biggest Characters in the series but let's try to give the others some breathing room for gods sake.

At least it's not overrated Leon again, like Damnation.
^
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Jan 10 2011, 07:29 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
Civilian
Member ID:
Total Post:

i suppose but they really need to stop making it about chris and jill. gets way to boring.
^
Col. Radec
 Posted: Jan 18 2011, 09:29 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Master Daddy V @ Jan 6 2011, 10:21 AM)

user posted image

QUOTE (METALHEADROY7 @ Jan 10 2011, 06:18 AM)
i suppose but they really need to stop making it about chris and jill. gets way to boring.

user posted image

Chris and Jill aren't just the "biggest characters," they're the main characters. Actually, that doesn't even cut it. They're the stars of the main RE story arc, meaning they're the stars of the series... pun not intended. They're the ones who started the franchise, and their partnership hasn't been highlighted quite as much as you guys are making it look.

Chris and Jill have starred in four, count 'em, four titles; three titles respectively. Chris in 1, CV, and 5; Jill in 1, 3, and 5. They appeared together for a grand total of two games.

RER's going to be the third game they appear together. And I'm sorry, but three titles in a fifteen year history isn't the definition of overkill. In my opinion, no one's more deserving of more games than Chris and Jill.

I've always wanted a full game of them working together, and not only is RER going to pay off, but you limp-wristed fanboys aren't gonna ruin it for me.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jan 18 2011, 02:23 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

I just found this during a random search and thought you guys and gal might like a sneak peek at some Resident Evil Revelations Mercenaries screens, particularly four playable characters. wink.gif

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2010/12/1...screenshots.htm
^
Col. Radec
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 04:50 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
Member ID:
Total Post:

Oh wow, old news and old screens. Thanks, it's not like we have enough of these! You do know that the link to these same screens is on the first page of this thread, Mr. Administrator?
^
Relative Risk
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 06:26 AM

Resident Blogger/Industry Insider

Group:
S.T.A.R.S.
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Col. Radec @ Jan 20 2011, 06:39 AM)
Oh wow, old news and old screens. Thanks, it's not like we have enough of these! You do know that the link to these same screens is on the first page of this thread, Mr. Administrator?

Yeah, I provided said link. Mr. Administrator isn't too thorough.

For RER coverage from Nintendo World, here's one of the more conservative post-show reviews, from 1UP's Daniel Feit (demo available in source-link):

Last year, Capcom was quick to announce not one but two separate Resident Evil games for the upcoming Nintendo 3DS: Revelations and The Mercenaries 3D. While The Mercenaries is currently on target for a Spring release and Revelations sometime after that, it was Revelations that got a dedicated booth at this weekend's Nintendo World 2011 event, while The Mercenaries was relegated to a display-only demo unit in the corner of the hall. Despite this reversal, I feel there are far more unanswered questions surrounding Revelations than its sister project.

Much of Resident Evil: Revelations is a throwback to older titles in the series, given what Capcom showed in the brief demo this weekend. The lead characters are Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, stars of the original Resident Evil. The action-oriented tactics of Resident Evil 4 and the cooperative play mechanics of Resident Evil 5 are gone. In their place is a more deliberately-paced, solitary adventure.

The demo began with Jill alone on a ship. The impact of the graphics, not just the 3D effect, was striking. For a series with a divisive gap between its home console iterations and its portable ones, Resident Evil: Revelations looks far closer to the former than the latter. The 3D enhancement was subtle but noticeable, although with such tight quarters there was precious little depth to exploit visually.

The controls were less impressive. After enjoying so much freedom in Resident Evil 5, returning to a single analog pad felt like a step backwards. It's possible to adjust the camera view with the touch screen, but important functions are mapped to the buttons, so holding the stylus is out of the question. When I attempted to use both, a painful hand cramp and the Capcom booth staff convinced me to abandon that idea.

Fortunately, the game seems geared more towards careful exploration than combat, so the controls are more a design choice than an oversight. When navigating narrow hallways, I didn't need to play with the camera, as it maintained a comfortable over-the-shoulder position that gave me just enough of a field of view to feel perpetually nervous. The sound effects added to my anxiety; a creaky ship at sea with moans and grunts echoing in the distance made me very uneasy.

Only one type of enemy appeared in the demo, and it wasn't very human. It walked around on two legs like a zombie, but looked more like a Licker with tendrils on its body and a large, open mouth. Combat remains a stop-and-shoot affair (EDIT: There is actually a way to move while aiming now. I apologize for not discovering this sooner). When I first saw a creature in the head (that's nautical speak for "toilet"), I had a bit of trouble aiming with the analog pad. Again, I had grown accustomed to having a right thumbstick like in Resident Evil 5. Luckily for me, Jill had unlimited ammo and regenerating health in the demo, so by the time I faced two monsters later on I had completely recovered.

After I defeated two monsters at once, the demo came to an abrupt end. There were no cutscenes -- no real dialogue. Only a prisoner locked in a cell gave any hint as to what the plot might include. The confusing E3 trailer showing on a loop at the booth didn't help matters: all the graphical advancements in the world seem incapable of enhancing the storytelling and scriptwriting in this series.

The biggest questions I have concerning Resident Evil: Revelations are not story-related, though. I got the hang of the controls quickly enough, but what of the supplemental functions? The demo offered no menus, no inventory, and no heads-up display at all. The touch screen was nearly useless. How these things work in the final product will be a major factor in playing and enjoying the full game. There's also the matter of quick-time events, a central component of recent entries in the series. Personally, I can't stand them, and if/how they are incorporated in the full game will matter a great deal.

Resident Evil: Revelations looks and feels so much like a home console release that it seems poised to deliver an authentic survival horror experience on the 3DS. Yet with all these looming questions, however, I'm forced to wonder if it will live up to its prestigious name.

Source

Supplemental reviews:
Nintendo World Report
IGN
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jan 20 2011, 03:51 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

I've been sick and having some pretty limiting back and neck pain the past few days, so I'm extra vulnerable to epic fails right now. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ph34r.gif
^
METALHEADROY7
 Posted: Jan 21 2011, 10:48 PM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
Civilian
Member ID:
Total Post:

since its for the 3ds i imagine its gonna be short lived and short story.
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Mobile Version Last Visit: --