Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Underworld/RE crossover?, WTF?
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jul 14 2012, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/16864...evil-cross-over

Vampires and werewolves have zilch to do with anything in the RE universe. Underworld lies in the realm of the paranormal, whereas nothing in RE is paranormal. Paul, I've done my best to defend you and the RE movies from what I view to be undeserved slander, but please... please... do not do this.
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Jul 14 2012, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team
Group: Civilian
Member No.: 32
Credits: 550

i would also have to say no, IMHO RE has more in common with BLADE then it has with underworld, but... the key word is 'it will have to make sense' & since the recent underworld movies (sans special effects which are always exciting) the storyline hasnt been that great.
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jul 14 2012, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Jul 14 2012, 04:37 PM)
the key word is 'it will have to make sense'

That's just it, it wouldn't make sense. Vampires and werewolves don't exist in the RE universe, movie or game, and none of the creatures in RE were created via paranormal forces.
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Jul 15 2012, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

well... what sucks is... we can kick & scream as much as we want, but its prolly going to be done anyway,

i just hope they make it a 'stand alone movie' not part of the series or whatever you call what they have out now
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Jul 16 2012, 04:51 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Member No.: 27
Credits: 1370

What in the world is wrong with folks.... Some just need to have their heads beat until the white meat shows. There is no way to fit in the Underworld story into the RE universe or vice-versa.

I agree with the last few Underworlds sucking, the last one especially stunk.... But then so did the last Re movie.... Looks like quality no longer matters, they are only focused on one thing, using a brand name to get them big bucks!
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Jul 29 2012, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

yep, what sucks is afterlife could have been a great movie IF Alice had kept her powers or at least some of them (maybe get rid of that psionic thingy) cuz the way they wrote the story just doesnt work with Alice having no powers. i have read the script /screenplay for afterlife, & i haved to say that on paper it was a great movie, as far as RE movies are concerned that is, perhaps thats why they keep getting made LOL, those guys are really getting to be politicians... say one thing, then do another once you get the contract tongue.gif
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Jul 30 2012, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Jul 29 2012, 08:49 PM)
yep, what sucks is afterlife could have been a great movie IF Alice had kept her powers or at least some of them (maybe get rid of that psionic thingy) cuz the way they wrote the story just doesnt work with Alice having no powers. i have read the script /screenplay for afterlife, & i haved to say that on paper it was a great movie, as far as RE movies are concerned that is, perhaps thats why they keep getting made LOL, those guys are really getting to be politicians... say one thing, then do another once you get the contract tongue.gif

I know we disagree on this, but I think that Alice getting so super powered was part of what ruined the movies. For me, having the hero's be vulnerable makes it more real and scary. Nothing could stop Alice really, and you knew ahead of time that she would most likely survive. I like it better when they only have a shot at overcoming the big bad. tongue.gif The big bad can be overpowered, but not the hero's.... Just call me a sadist I guess tongue.gif http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif

Well they keep getting made because they know the name Resident Evil alone is enough to draw in the crowds for opening weekend. Most films will make enough to at least break even from an opening weekend, especially horror movies. And that is all they care about.... that almighty dollar.

Plus they know horror fans are some of the most devoted fans there are... Take Friday the 13th, there are like 12 movies if you include the remake and the Freddy one. Jason has been killed in every way imaginable, even hacked to bits in The Final Chapter, yet when they made part 5 it was a success in the box office for opening weekend, even though everyone knew that they'd have to use some serious duct tape on Jason. They know the die hard fans will show up and watch them and buy the DVD's, even if the movie sucked, because they have to have it for their collections. Halloween 3 is a great example of this, it didn't even have Michael Myers in it at all, the plot had not a thing to do with him, yet it did well enough for them to make their money back and it sold many DVD's just for the simple fact that they slapped the Halloween name on it....

Horror movies are the big movie companies bread and butter. Most can be made relatively cheap because most don't really need high tech stuff and they usually have no big name stars so the money invested in them is rather low compared to other movies. I remember reading somewhere that the reason they didn't have Danielle Harris play Jamie Lloyd in Halloween 6 was she wanted more money, they were only wanting to pay her what she received in Halloween 4.... Also most of the actors/actresses don't get points or royalties from the movies, their fee is a flat fee. The only people who get rich from most horror movies are the movie companies and the producer/directors.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jul 30 2012, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Ashe @ Jul 30 2012, 04:27 AM)
Well they keep getting made because they know the name Resident Evil alone is enough to draw in the crowds for opening weekend. Most films will make enough to at least break even from an opening weekend, especially horror movies. And that is all they care about.... that almighty dollar.

The reason they keep getting made is because, despite what the anti-Anderson crowd or IGN or reviewers or whoever else wants to claim, more people like them than hate them. That's what this "almighty dollar" translates to. Capcom knows this, otherwise they'd have pulled the plug long ago.

Simply put, the movies are successful, period. There's going to be defenders and detractors for any movie ever made. Avatar ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time (I've been hearing claims that The Avengers surpassed it, but I haven't bothered to look around for any numbers to prove or disprove it), yet even it has detractors who maintain it's more fluff than substance. No matter how hard you try, you can never satisfy everyone.
PM Email Poster
Ashe
 Posted: Jul 30 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Jul 30 2012, 12:11 PM)
QUOTE (Ashe @ Jul 30 2012, 04:27 AM)

The reason they keep getting made is because, despite what the anti-Anderson crowd or IGN or reviewers or whoever else wants to claim, more people like them than hate them. That's what this "almighty dollar" translates to. Capcom knows this, otherwise they'd have pulled the plug long ago.

Simply put, the movies are successful, period. There's going to be defenders and detractors for any movie ever made. Avatar ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time (I've been hearing claims that The Avengers surpassed it, but I haven't bothered to look around for any numbers to prove or disprove it), yet even it has detractors who maintain it's more fluff than substance. No matter how hard you try, you can never satisfy everyone.

I wouldn't say more like them than not as being the biggest reason. I think more go just for the name or are just die hard horror fans. If not for the die hard fans horror in general would go into oblivion. I also wasn't referring to the industry as a whole, but more towards the films that just keep making sequel after sequel when sometimes it would just be better to let a series end. And the horror genre is especially bad for it. Most of the sequels made while they may do well on their opening weekends or when the DVD's first come out, sales always slack off almost immediately.

I'm guilty of watching them just for their names, especially in the horror genre. And I'm guilty of buying them just so I will have them for my collections. So far I've been able to keep from buying any since RE4 game wise, I do have all the movies though... And yep I have Season of the Witch (Halloween 3), and even have Rob Zombie's movies even though I hated them aside from the look of Michael.... http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/smiley-rpg013.gif blink.gif

PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Jul 30 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Well I think that if they were going to make her 'totally' human the. They should adapt the story to reflect that, they totally made her character seem like ... Useless without her powers, it almost seemed like they thought 'yeah we'll take her powers away but but we'll turn her into a bumbling idiot'. I mean shoot if you are going to take her powers away at least make her self sufficient.

That's why I am not a fan her her losing all her abilities, because it makes the fight against something like wesker very one sided it makes it look like the good guys CAN'T win now sad.gif, cuz wesker is all powerful so in retro spect, an all powerful Alice would negate Wesker's powers cuz even with all her power Alice can't even survive a shot to the head of being blown up in a chopper crash.
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jul 30 2012, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Jul 30 2012, 02:29 PM)
That's why I am not a fan her her losing all her abilities, because it makes the fight against something like wesker very one sided it makes it look like the good guys CAN'T win now sad.gif, cuz wesker is all powerful so in retro spect, an all powerful Alice would negate Wesker's powers cuz even with all her power Alice can't even survive a shot to the head of being blown up in a chopper crash.

The whole point is that it's supposed to look like the good guys can't win, otherwise there wouldn't be any point in watching. A protagonist is supposed to overcome adversity to defeat a superior antagonist. It makes the protagonist a more identifiable character for the viewer. The battle isn't supposed to be "balanced" or "fair". I certainly can't identify with a super-powered Alice because I don't have any super powers of my own to draw on. The game version of Chris didn't need super-powers to defeat Wesker, nor did Leon (as much as I hate him) need super powers to defeat Lord Saddler. Alice is no different.
PM Email Poster
Ashe
 Posted: Jul 31 2012, 04:35 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Jul 31 2012, 12:27 AM)
QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Jul 30 2012, 02:29 PM)

The whole point is that it's supposed to look like the good guys can't win, otherwise there wouldn't be any point in watching. A protagonist is supposed to overcome adversity to defeat a superior antagonist. It makes the protagonist a more identifiable character for the viewer. The battle isn't supposed to be "balanced" or "fair". I certainly can't identify with a super-powered Alice because I don't have any super powers of my own to draw on. The game version of Chris didn't need super-powers to defeat Wesker, nor did Leon (as much as I hate him) need super powers to defeat Lord Saddler. Alice is no different.

Got to agree with Spartan on this, super powers aren't needed... Throughout the whole game series I can't think of 1 game where the playable character had any powers at all. All they had was their brains and some guns/explosives.

And if you remember, in the first movie, Alice had no powers and was quite capable of taking care of herself. She even had the nickname "Ass kicking Alice". Also as Spartan said, it makes her a more believable character, one people can identify with. I would have been a little more receptive to the idea if they hadn't taken it so far. Like maybe only making her speedier or a bit stronger, but making her pretty much invincible went too far.

PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Jul 31 2012, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

my issue isnt the fact that they took her powers away, its the fact that they made her look like a dumbass without them... something we know from the first movie that she isnt & it sucked. if you are going to write the storyline like that at least do the character some justice... yesh :/
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Aug 1 2012, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Jul 31 2012, 08:21 PM)
my issue isnt the fact that they took her powers away, its the fact that they made her look like a dumbass without them... something we know from the first movie that she isnt & it sucked. if you are going to write the storyline like that at least do the character some justice... yesh :/

Oh I agree with that! That is a huge problem movies with sequels have. Especially when they are sequels where some of the characters are in all the movies, they forget or seem to, about what they had them doing or being like before or change them so drastically without a viable explanation. And in this case the viable explanation would have been so simple and easy to fit in.

Alice's sudden switch could easily be explained. Imagine you were Alice. You are this strong confident woman who relies on no one, can take care of herself. You are "Ass Kicking Alice".... Suddenly you are thrown into the zombie apocalypse and survive but get "tampered" with and are now suddenly "Super Ass Kicking Alice". Then you are "tampered" with again and become "Super Duper Ass Kicking Alice". That would have to screw with anyone's mind, make them act differently. Who knows, maybe the new movie reverts her back to just plain ole "Ass Kicking Alice".

This type of thing is why I almost always enjoy the books/novelizations so much more. They can flesh out the characters better. You usually learn more about their motivations and/or reasons for doing the things they do. With movies they usually leave most of that out and it usually paints a drastically different picture of a character than what was intended. I think one of the best examples of this is Gone With The Wind.

If you judge Scarlett just from the movie, she appears to be a vain, simpering, opinionated, spoiled rotten southern belle who cares only about herself. But when you read the book, you see while yes she's vain, opinionated and spoiled, she is also a very caring woman who does anything that is necessary to protect those she loves and even in some cases those she detests just because it will help someone she cares about. She is extremely loyal and very smart. And while she may lie at times, she can be trusted when she gives her word about something.

But due to the constraints of the medium of film, like time, we can't get the full picture. They have to cut so much out to make it fit into a certain amount of time and sadly the movies suffer for it. Things don't make sense or it gives the wrong impressions.....
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 1 2012, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Yeah but there was some things, like how the virus got out of raccoon city, & what happened to Angie & Jill & thr whole reason why Alice was on her own.
PM Yahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll