Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

WWE video games, For discussing the WWE games
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Feb 21 2013, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Group: S.T.A.R.S.
Member No.: 8
Credits: 1315

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Feb 21 2013, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (Spike Reaver @ Feb 20 2013, 08:29 PM)
I guess you got your wish huh?

Not really. I can name off who knows how many wrestlers that were an important part of the Attitude Era that weren't in WWE '13: The Dudley Boyz, the Hardy Boyz, Chyna, Jacqueline, Ivory, Al Snow, Steve Blackman, D'lo Brown. I enjoy the ones that are in the game, but it's far from what I wanted.

Oh how I would've enjoyed having The Hardyz and the Lethal Weapon...

They really didn't pull out all of the stops for 13. I mean, they did something that was sure to be really popular. It seems like people just can't let go of the Attitude Era, but surely they could've done better for us. At least by the roster. And let's face it, isn't that one of the most important parts of the game?

At least it is for me. Gameplay and roster. I want to play as one of my fav's, but I also want the game to play well.

Any chance of any of those guys coming in via DLC?
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 21 2013, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

No, all WWE '13 dlc is released already and, with THQ having bought the farm, there won't be anymore.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 1 2013, 02:34 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Feb 21 2013, 08:50 PM)
No, all WWE '13 dlc is released already and, with THQ having bought the farm, there won't be anymore.

Eh, well I guess we're stuck with what we got. The WWE games have been dissapointing me for awhile now. I did get RVD as a Legend in 2011, but that game took out so many moves. And played kind of slow. It seems like every few years the WWE games try to play more realistic and slow. I'd say SvR06 is another good example of this.

But anyway, I did get to play some 13 recently. Yesterday, I had gotten my 360 playing. I haven't touched that thing in forever. Chord problems, but I was able to play some RE5(Mercs and LIN) as well as 13. I always play on Legend.

It didn't take too long for me to hit an RKO and get the pin. I've just noticed, that while there are tons of gameplay improvements that I really like, there are plenty that I do not.

It doesn't seem to play as smooth as other WWE games have in the past.

HCTP for instance, I used to be able to whip out so many of RVD's moves, even in "combos" against my opponents, and human players. Like a friend of mine who uses Undertaker(American BA in HCTP obviously), I would actually have to utilize Van Dam's speed, as Taker can take so much damage comapred to RVD, and he does wayyy more damage with any given move comapred to RVD, and skillfully whip out these combos; like hitting the shoulder thrusts in the corner, to the rolling moonsault, to a summersault senton(strike), to a moonstault splash(grapple), etc, etc. and I could hit all of those moves consecutively. It's actually quite impressive if you can ever see it. I fricken owned with RVD. And same can be said with Jeff Hardy in 08 for instance.

I just feel that the game's mechanics have changed a good deal. The way grapples in the corner work, and everything else. It just doesn't run as "smooth" as it used to. Maybe it's more realistic, but whatever the case, it almost doesn't feel as fun.

I only played a few matches(without sound BTW, as I hadn't realized that I had to plug up the regular Red and White jacks, in addition to the HD Blue and Green and Red. Kind of reduntant, but apparently that's how it has to be done). I did a couple of regular matches, Cage, Ladder. Still a fun game, looks awesome, and it's clear to see how it's improved in many ways, but I still miss the fun that I had with certain previous games.

I'm going to say that HCTP, SvR, 08, 09 and 2010 are my fav's. I used to have some intense matches in 09, with a buddy playing as Orton against my Hardy.

It was nice playing as a wrestler, and being able to hit those unique, trademark, signature moves that really set the wrestler you were playing with apart from the others. It feels much more generic in 13, and just newer WWE games.

It's nice getting a "Comeback" and getting my opponent with some signature Orton Clotheslines, then his snap powerslam, but it seems like the good stuff fewer and farther between.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 1 2013, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike Reaver @ Mar 1 2013, 01:34 AM)
HCTP for instance, I used to be able to whip out so many of RVD's moves, even in "combos" against my opponents, and human players. Like a friend of mine who uses Undertaker(American BA in HCTP obviously), I would actually have to utilize Van Dam's speed, as Taker can take so much damage comapred to RVD, and he does wayyy more damage with any given move comapred to RVD,  and skillfully whip out these combos; like hitting the shoulder thrusts in the corner, to the rolling moonsault, to a summersault senton(strike), to a moonstault splash(grapple), etc, etc. and I could hit all of those moves consecutively. It's actually quite impressive if you can ever see it. I fricken owned with RVD. And same can be said with Jeff Hardy in 08 for instance.

The reason for this is because HCTP had fully-functioning weight classes, a feature removed from the game the following year and only partially restored in WWE '12 and '13.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 18 2013, 01:13 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

Speaking of HCTP, I was playing again the other day. Still quite possibly my fav wrestling game.

What do you think is the absolute best wrestling game?

I've heard No Mercy tons of times, and I've played it probably twice, and it was years in between, and it's been years since. I honestly don't remember, but I do recall climbing ladders with Jeff Hardy, so I believe it must've been fun.

Otherwise, I think HCTP plays so smooth. So many moves, just a really awesome game. I can't think of too many complaints. I think there are some gameplay improvements later on, but HCTP just plays so smooth and perfect.

I think the reversals and timing and all work really well in 08 and 09. This was also before 2010, where the Strike and Grapple reversals weren't a single button, it used to be R2 for Grapplesa nd L2 for Strikes.

As far as games outside of the Smackdown series, Raw 2 has so many moves and can be pretty fun. But the gameplay is not smooth at all, it's actually pretty bad. Oh, and getting caught in a spot where you are being pinned, kick out, then the CPU pins you again before you can get up, then you kick out again, and then it repeats for like 5 minutes straight, no joke, makes you wanna punch a baby.

Otherwise Day Of Reckoning 2 is nearly perfect with it's gameplay. It just runs so smooth. It's all about timing, and the AI in that game will Eff You Up! It's a shame that series stopped there, as the new gen consoles were coming out, so no more sibling wrestling games for different platforms. Oh well, technically the SvR games did start to impliment features from the Raw, DoR and previous Smackdown games, so I guess it's all good.

I do feel like they need to do something different however. When I played 13 a few weeks ago, I got bored of it pretty quick. It's fun, but IDK. Somehow it just doesn't hold my attention.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 18 2013, 02:23 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

HCTP is considered by many to be the best of the THQ games in terms of gameplay and customization and had probably the second best story mode after 24/7 Mode, though I unfortunately can't handle its CAW mode anymore. I just can't make any look human anymore. Even then, I tend to play the succeeding game more often since it had a better roster and improved controls with bigger movesets. And it gave us the dream match everyone had wanted for years and never got: Austin vs Goldberg.

Raw 2 had great potential, especially with the ability to fully customize the roster's attires with CAW parts. But like you said, gameplay didn't flow as smoothly as it could have. I still pop it in occasionally to try out new gimmicks on real superstars/divas, though. And dress some like women. tongue.gif

I never played the Day of Reckoning series.

But with THQ gone, for better or worse, that era is over and the 2K era has begun. 2K has done good things with the NBA franchise from what I know of it, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I just hope they build on what THQ and Yukes have done instead of scrapping everything and starting from scratch. There's no way in hell I'd put my money into a barebones game with half the features of its predecessors.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 19 2013, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 18 2013, 03:23 AM)
HCTP is considered by many to be the best of the THQ games in terms of gameplay and customization and had probably the second best story mode after 24/7 Mode, though I unfortunately can't handle its CAW mode anymore. I just can't make any look human anymore. Even then, I tend to play the succeeding game more often since it had a better roster and improved controls with bigger movesets. And it gave us the dream match everyone had wanted for years and never got: Austin vs Goldberg.

I agree on the CAW mode. Actually, anything prior to 07 I just can't do. I had made this pretty hot chick in 07's CAW on 360. Plus Jeff Hardy of course. Don't even get me started on how annoying it is that RVD and Jeff missed out on being in the same game for HCTP, W19, 07/08 and 2010/2011.

They did have Wrestlemania X8 and Smackdown Shut Your Mouth, as well as that Crush Hour game, which is like twisted metal basically. And yes I do own that one. Mini-rant over.

Raw 2 had great potential, especially with the ability to fully customize the roster's attires with CAW parts. But like you said, gameplay didn't flow as smoothly as it could have. I still pop it in occasionally to try out new gimmicks on real superstars/divas, though. And dress some like women. tongue.gif

Oh I didn't realize you could customize their clothes, I hadn't played it in so long, and when I did, it was pretty much straight to the action. I did mess with the movesets a little. There are so many awesome moves, and I really enjoy the way certain things work. Like when you get the enemy on the ropes, you can have a Finisher there. With RVD for instance, it's rolling thunder. While if you have the enemy on the ropes, you have like 4 different grapples, so I can also have the Rolling Splash and Rolling Cartwheel Moonsault move.

I never played the Day of Reckoning series.

You ever planning to?

It consists of WX8, W19, DoR, and DoR2. DoR2 is really where you can see how the gameplay has improved, as well as the game not looking like shit. Like Raw2 unforuntaley does. Bad thing about DoR2 is that there is a Stamina system that can not be changed. Otherwise, it plays perfect.

The ability to attack opponents mid-move is something that I believe has also shown up in the most recent WWE game hasn't it?

But with THQ gone, for better or worse, that era is over and the 2K era has begun. 2K has done good things with the NBA franchise from what I know of it, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I just hope they build on what THQ and Yukes have done instead of scrapping everything and starting from scratch. There's no way in hell I'd put my money into a barebones game with half the features of its predecessors.

Come on Grimes, isn't it fun to waste your money on something because of the name? rolleyes.gif

What happened to THQ?

I think 2010 was the last WWE game that I wasn't pretty dissapointed with. I had so much fun with that one, and pretty much thought it was the best for awhile. I had it on Wii, and then eventually on 360.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 20 2013, 01:16 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike Reaver @ Mar 19 2013, 03:23 PM)
You ever planning to?

It consists of WX8, W19, DoR, and DoR2. DoR2 is really where you can see how the gameplay has improved, as well as the game not looking like shit. Like Raw2 unforuntaley does. Bad thing about DoR2 is that there is a Stamina system that can not be changed. Otherwise, it plays perfect.

The ability to attack opponents mid-move is something that I believe has also shown up in the most recent WWE game hasn't it?

I've played X8 and XIX (it wasn't called X9) and wasn't thrilled with it (more like blinded by the idea of WWF, WCW, and ECW superstars in one game), so I decided to stick with the Smackdown series. Didn't know they were part of the DoR series.

Come on Grimes, isn't it fun to waste your money on something because of the name? rolleyes.gif

It was, but when my grandfather died we found ourselves $2,500 a month poorer and we no longer had said money to "waste".

What happened to THQ?

user posted image

Something similar to that.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 21 2013, 02:03 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 20 2013, 02:16 AM)
I've played X8 and XIX (it wasn't called X9) and wasn't thrilled with it (more like blinded by the idea of WWF, WCW, and ECW superstars in one game), so I decided to stick with the Smackdown series. Didn't know they were part of the DoR series.

Oh yes, I forgot, XIX.

Well yeah, X8 and XIX, are part of the Gamecube series. I guess we can call it the DoR series, I do anyway.

WX8 is pretty bad. I like the roster, and just little things like that, but the gameplay holds it back, kind of like Raw 2, but worse.

XIX is actually a really nice improvement. But you didn't like it? DoR improves even more, and it definately peaked by DoR. I bet they could have done more, but since they just stopped making that series...

XIX is the sister game to HCTP anyway. You'll notice the same BGM's, and basically the same roster. One interesting thing about XIX, is the fights that you have in odd places. Like a shopping mall, and in a contruction site, fighting security guards and construction workers, who all know wrestling moves. It's pretty funny.

Oh, and I am so sick of the Ref in the WWE games. Seriously, they alway get in the way. And some of the earlier refs, like in HCTP, and even the DoR games, would reverse you, and even kick your ass if you attacked them. l mellow.gif
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 21 2013, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike Reaver @ Mar 21 2013, 01:03 AM)
One interesting thing about XIX, is the fights that you have in odd places. Like a shopping mall, and in a contruction site, fighting security guards and construction workers, who all know wrestling moves. It's pretty funny.

That "revenge" mode was ridiculous.

Oh, and I am so sick of the Ref in the WWE games. Seriously, they alway get in the way. And some of the earlier refs, like in HCTP, and even the DoR games, would reverse you, and even kick your ass if you attacked them. l mellow.gif

Then don't mess him. tongue.gif
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 23 2013, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 21 2013, 08:34 AM)
That "revenge" mode was ridiculous.

Yeah pretty much, but pretty cool at the same time. I felt like Jean-Claude Van Damme in some action movie. biggrin.gif

I guess WWE trains all of their security in the art of wrastlin', just in case, as well as the workers who are constructing nearby buildings and such.

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 21 2013, 08:34 AM)
Then don't mess him. tongue.gif

I know right??

Usually in HCTP I'll just throw my opponent outside the ring, that way the ref stops moving and I can take him out, then I can grab a chair and give my opponent the Vandaminator!

I remember in one game, I was so pissed at the ref, I just beat on him the whole match, it may have been 2011. Turns out you can not bust the refs open and give them the crimson mask.

What was your favourite WWE game?

I had so many good matches in 2009 actually. I used to play pretty much all of the WWE game with a buddy, and we were pretty equal at 09, his Orton vs my Hardy. Of course Orton has a better overall score and can take more damage, but damn, we had some good matches in 09.

I used to play 12 with this one guy, and he would sometimes resort to spamming out running attacks. Which kind of makes sense, as it's almost not worth trying to hit regular grapples, wayyy too easy to reverse.

I've also had some really good matches against another friend, in HCTP. His America Badass Taker vs my RVD. Again, awesome matches, very equal in skill, even though I have to work harder, as pretty much every 5 hits from RVD equals like 1 from Undertaker.

But once I get those Chairs in the ring, it's all mine. rolleyes.gif
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 24 2013, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike Reaver @ Mar 23 2013, 01:46 PM)
Yeah pretty much, but pretty cool at the same time. I felt like Jean-Claude Van Damme in some action movie. biggrin.gif

But the player isn't supposed to feel like Van Damme in an action movie, it's supposed to be a wrestling game.

Turns out you can not bust the refs open and give them the crimson mask.

I've never had a reason to try.

What was your favourite WWE game?

Don't have one.

I've also had some really good matches against another friend, in HCTP. His America Badass Taker vs my RVD. Again, awesome matches, very equal in skill, even though I have to work harder, as pretty much every 5 hits from RVD equals like 1 from Undertaker.

But once I get those Chairs in the ring, it's all mine.  rolleyes.gif

So you... need foreign objects to win? Well, whatever works for you, I guess. http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/chair.gif Too bad you don't have a PS3, otherwise I'd make you fall to the Kimura Lock just like all the rest. It'd be like a wrestling version of this--> http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/ResidentEvilFinalDays/Zombie_Emoticon_by_Dystopia3000.gif
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 25 2013, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 24 2013, 01:56 PM)
But the player isn't supposed to feel like Van Damme in an action movie, it's supposed to be a wrestling game.

Yeah, but Revenge is only an extra. The wrestling in the ring does the wrestling justice.

Don't have one.

No favourite? Do you prefer the earlier Smackdown games, like HCTP, or do you like the era where the right analogue stick was used for grapples? Or maybe the most recent control differences seen in 12 and 13?

So you... need foreign objects to win? Well, whatever works for you, I guess. http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/chair.gif Too bad you don't have a PS3, otherwise I'd make you fall to the Kimura Lock just like all the rest. It'd be like a wrestling version of this--> http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/ResidentEvilFinalDays/Zombie_Emoticon_by_Dystopia3000.gif

Hell nah! I use international objects! I certainly don't need a weapon, but once a chair and a ladder come into play, I know how to utilize them. It doesn't replace any skill I have, but is only an extension of my skillz. http://serve.mysmiley.net/characters/character0064.gif

And I'll get a Ps3 eventually. So you will get your wish and you can go one-on-one with the great one. http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bookit.png

I forsee a great singles and Ladder match in the future. If you smell what the Rock is cookin'.
PM
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 25 2013, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Spike Reaver @ Mar 25 2013, 10:30 AM)
Yeah, but Revenge is only an extra. The wrestling in the ring does the wrestling justice.

And lack of a true story mode is an injustice.

No favourite? Do you prefer the earlier Smackdown games, like HCTP, or do you like the era where the right analogue stick was used for grapples? Or maybe the most recent control differences seen in 12 and 13?

Again, I don't have any preference.

Hell nah! I use international objects! I certainly don't need a weapon, but once a chair and a ladder come into play, I know how to utilize them. It doesn't replace any skill I have, but is only an extension of my skillz. http://serve.mysmiley.net/characters/character0064.gif

I don't need any "extension" to my skills to put you in your place.

And I'll get a Ps3 eventually. So you will get your wish and you can go one-on-one with the great one. http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/bookit.png

I forsee a great singles and Ladder match in the future. If you smell what the Rock is cookin'.

You better! I foresee your chosen representative crying in the middle of the ring while I stand over him, victorious.
PM Email Poster
Spike Reaver
 Posted: Mar 31 2013, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 25 2013, 01:21 PM)
And lack of a true story mode is an injustice.

Perhaps. DoR and DoR2(which actually continues off from where the first one left off) are some of the better story modes in the WWE games.

24/7 Mode, was that in 08?

I liked the one in HCTP quite a bit. I know everyone says that, but it is one of the better ones.

Some of the story modes and Road To Wrestlemania's have some really silly and ridiculous cutscenes. I recall some fun in 07, playing as RVD, against Masters, and Trish went and gave everyone in the ring a low-blow, including the ref when he tried to take the belt away from her. Just ridiculous stuff. wink.gif

I don't need any "extension" to my skills to put you in your place.

We will see. I have my ways, and am extremely resilient.

The only problem I have had is the way playing online messes up the timing.

BTW, how do you feel about the pin system?

In earlier games you would simply press, I guess most all of, if not just the face buttons on your controller to try and kick out.

2010 however implimented a new system, that requires timing. I don't know how I feel about it. I have actually lost matches due to a problem with timing sometimes. I have also found myself in matches with a person who hits the timing every single time, even when it is just a sliver.

In which case I will use someone like Jericho and make them tap out, because there is no messing with a submission. happy.gif

You better! I foresee your chosen representative crying in the middle of the ring while I stand over him, victorious.

Psh, the only pose you will be doing is lying on your back, in the middle of the ring, with me on top! mad.gif

BTW, I forgot to mention Cage Match before. I enjoy those too, especially like a Triple Threat or Fatal Four Way. It can be a bitch trying to get outta that cage. blink.gif

I do think they should attempt to improve on the Cage though. Mainly once you get to the top. All you have to do is press the action button and BAM, you are on your way out.

Now what they should do, is impliment another set of QTE's, in which you have to hit the timing just right, like when climbing up and over, in order to climb down. That would make it more intense and realistic than just beating your opponent to the top and pressing the action button first.

They could even add another sliver that if you time it just right, instead of just climbing down another section before another QTE, that little sliver could make it to where you just let go and drop down to place both feet on the ground before your opponent. Whady think? haha
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll