Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Spartacus: War of the Damned
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Jan 25 2013, 06:16 AM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

Well, the final stand begins tonight and Spartacus' army of gladiators will come face to face with the full might of Rome's world-conquering legions. It's not gonna be as easy this time as it was last time around... user posted image

Who's looking forward it it?
^
Ashe
 Posted: Jan 31 2013, 03:31 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

Was a great episode!!! Can't wait for the next one!
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 4 2013, 03:00 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

I'm really liking Crassus so far. Unlike that amateur Glabre, Crassus doesn't underestimate Spartacus as a "slave" and I liked how he scolded his son Tiberius for doing just that. I find myself respecting him quite a lot. He's gonna be a very dangerous enemy.

Naevia has turned into a real Amazon, too. Crixus must be one hell of a trainer. I guess Gauls are useful for something after all. tongue.gif

Speaking of Crixus, I'm looking forward to how the show portrays the division between he and Spartacus that many believe directly caused the failure of the revolt.

And for those history buffs familiar, I did find it funny how the Marian-style Roman legionaries (as in, their equipment style) that we've seen in the series so far were suddenly replaced at the end of episode 2 with the more "quintessential" Roman soldiers, the Augustan imperial legionaries. http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif
^
Ashe
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 04:40 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Feb 4 2013, 06:00 PM)
I'm really liking Crassus so far. Unlike that amateur Glabre, Crassus doesn't underestimate Spartacus as a "slave" and I liked how he scolded his son Tiberius for doing just that. I find myself respecting him quite a lot. He's gonna be a very dangerous enemy.

Naevia has turned into a real Amazon, too. Crixus must be one hell of a trainer. I guess Gauls are useful for something after all. tongue.gif

Speaking of Crixus, I'm looking forward to how the show portrays the division between he and Spartacus that many believe directly caused the failure of the revolt.

And for those history buffs familiar, I did find it funny how the Marian-style Roman legionaries (as in, their equipment style) that we've seen in the series so far were suddenly replaced at the end of episode 2 with the more "quintessential" Roman soldiers, the Augustan imperial legionaries. http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif

I've only gotten to watch the first episode so far, got the other 2 to watch, but have had a bad case of the flu and not felt like watching much of anything. sad.gif

Glabre was a putz! He deserved what he got, in fact he deserved worse! tongue.gif

While I'm sure Crixus has had much to do with her transformation, I think the greater contribution he has made in regards to her change is to love her and give her the confidence she needed to take back her life. Had he not been so tender and understanding about what happened to her, I don't think she'd have progressed as well and quickly as she has. I absolutely loved the season finale last season when she killed Asher!! And her comment about it not being easy to cleave a man's head from his shoulders was priceless! tongue.gif

I hate it when they change facts, even small ones like the soldiers uniform being wrong. It would be one thing if they did so accidentally, but usually it's because they think that the changes will be more popular, thus getting them more viewers. Just like they add all that graphic sex, it's not needed. It's in the show simply to get horny folks to watch.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 06:17 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Ashe @ Feb 10 2013, 03:40 AM)
I hate it when they change facts, even small ones like the soldiers uniform being wrong. It would be one thing if they did so accidentally, but usually it's because they think that the changes will be more popular, thus getting them more viewers.

So far it appears to only have been that one scene. The legionaries in ep. 3 were reverted back to Marian-style equipment, with the exception of some wearing Lorica Segmentata plate armor. I'm guessing maybe they just didn't have enough of the proper equipment to outfit extras with.

And yes, let's not mention those other "small" changes like the real Oenomaus being a Gaul rather than a Numidian, or the missing Castus. tongue.gif

Just like they add all that graphic sex, it's not needed. It's in the show simply to get horny folks to watch.

Orgies = Ratings. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. tongue.gif
^
Ashe
 Posted: Feb 11 2013, 04:32 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Feb 10 2013, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Ashe @ Feb 10 2013, 03:40 AM)
I hate it when they change facts, even small ones like the soldiers uniform being wrong. It would be one thing if they did so accidentally, but usually it's because they think that the changes will be more popular, thus getting them more viewers.

So far it appears to only have been that one scene. The legionaries in ep. 3 were reverted back to Marian-style equipment, with the exception of some wearing Lorica Segmentata plate armor. I'm guessing maybe they just didn't have enough of the proper equipment to outfit extras with.

And yes, let's not mention those other "small" changes like the real Oenomaus being a Gaul rather than a Numidian, or the missing Castus. tongue.gif

Just like they add all that graphic sex, it's not needed. It's in the show simply to get horny folks to watch.

Orgies = Ratings. Don't hate the playa, hate the game. tongue.gif

The change of the race for Oenomaus didn't really bother me to much, I LOVE Peter Mensah. He is a fabulous actor and I was absolutely crushed when he died... So unfair sad.gif And you are right, they are sticking pretty close to actual events which is quite refreshing. My feeling is if the story is so interesting that someone wishes to tell it centuries later, then it don't need changed!!

I will hate the playa and the game!! http://i5.ifrm.com/11464/135/emo/fish.gif And I will do so because it is overdone. There is no need for all those long orgy like scenes. They are quite graphic with it, so much so, that I would not watch this show with my sons, even the eldest and he's almost 22 with a child of his own! I don't fall for the argument that they are trying to be historically accurate because they could be accurate WITHOUT showing a threesome in graphic detail! They could easily portray the lifestyle without it, but then they might lose a few horny teenaged viewers....

^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Feb 11 2013, 03:54 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

But they're on a premium channel, so they should take full advantage of it. That means threesomes, orgies, and gratuitous profanity. sad.gif

Orgies still = ratings, though. tongue.gif
^
Ashe
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 02:16 PM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Feb 11 2013, 06:54 PM)
But they're on a premium channel, so they should take full advantage of it. That means threesomes, orgies, and gratuitous profanity. sad.gif

That is what is wrong with the world today. People have lost almost all their morals. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

If folks want to watch that kind of garbage let them go to the nearest Family Video and enter their lil back room where they keep the pervo movies.
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 06:26 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Ashe @ Mar 8 2013, 01:16 PM)

That is what is wrong with the world today. People have lost almost all their morals. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

If folks want to watch that kind of garbage let them go to the nearest Family Video and enter their lil back room where they keep the pervo movies.

My morals are just fine, thank you. I only practice the concept of "don't like it, don't watch it" instead of complaining when something isn't geared to my individual sensibilities.
^
Ashe
 Posted: Mar 9 2013, 08:02 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Mar 8 2013, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (Ashe @ Mar 8 2013, 01:16 PM)

My morals are just fine, thank you. I only practice the concept of "don't like it, don't watch it" instead of complaining when something isn't geared to my individual sensibilities.

I was not referring to you. I was referring to the idea that just because they can do something you should take advantage of it. Which is a huge problem with our world today. Just look at Odumba. He is ruining the country doing things that he can, but that he shouldn't. If no one complains about it and stands up then nothing is corrected.

It's a concept that is shown in Spartacus. The Romans are doing things and taking advantage of things just because they can. And is one of the major reasons the empire crumbles. And as far as the sex in the show goes, the ONLY thing that keeps it from getting a XXX rating is that it does not show the actual penetration. Some things in life are meant to be kept private, and sex is one of them.

Edit
OMG!!! Just watched this weeks episode.... My family thought I was a crazy woman. I was screaming go Ganicus go!!! Go! LMAO http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif That lil punk Tiberius needs to be sliced and diced! Same for Crassus and Cesar... Off with their heads I say http://i5.ifrm.com/11464/135/emo/fish.gif
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Apr 13 2013, 09:39 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

Well, Crassus and Caesar will both get their dues, as history has shown. Crassus gets melted gold poured down his throat following an ill-advised venture against the Parthians (man, just the mere thought of how painful such a fate would be makes me shudder) and Caesar is stabbed to death on the Senate floor.

I'm just wowed by the series finale, as well as saddened. Not mad, saddened We've been long on this journey with Spartacus as our leader, that it feels indescribably strange now that he's gone. I've seen the end of numerous shows I like, but this one... I don't know, it feels different. I sat here watching the final scene, realizing almost everyone we came to love---Crixus, Oenomaus, Mira, Naivia, that blonde chick who fought with daggers and did a lot of screaming (what was her name again? LOL)---was dead, Gannicus strung up on a cross dying where we saw his vision of Oenomaus... Then Spartacus lay there dying, wishing his loved ones well, and then he was... gone.

It's really strange. It feels almost like I'm sitting in a jail cell when all my hopes of freedom and a happy life collapse on me. A series finale has never impacted me this strongly before.
^
Ashe
 Posted: Apr 19 2013, 06:05 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

I thought the episode was good, BUT, they killed my Gannicus!!!!!!! Not only killed him, crucified him. The are evil!!! I'd have much rather seen Agron bite it, I never liked him much anyways. I would have also liked to see Cesar and Crassus get a bit more whooped up on. tongue.gif Not enough pain was given to them. http://i5.ifrm.com/11464/135/emo/fish.gif
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Apr 20 2013, 05:57 PM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

So I'm not the only one who interpreted Gannicus' vision of a packed arena cheering him on, as the moment he died, then? Well, at least he didn't suffer, modern estimates for the amount of time it would take to die by crucifixion are in the days to weeks and Gannicus was exhausted beyond meaning of the word, considering how he was implied to be the last man on his feet fighting. But he died as a warrior with honor, the best kind of death. smile.gif

Yeah, Agron occasionally got on my nerves, too. Though that was mostly due to his apparent dislike of and refusal to coexist with Crixus. I really believe that it was him that festered the rift between Spartacus and Crixus. If they hadn't divided the army, they could have beaten Crassus.
^
Ashe
 Posted: Apr 21 2013, 03:14 AM

BSAA Bravo Team

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Rick Grimes @ Apr 20 2013, 08:57 PM)
So I'm not the only one who interpreted Gannicus' vision of a packed arena cheering him on, as the moment he died, then? Well, at least he didn't suffer, modern estimates for the amount of time it would take to die by crucifixion are in the days to weeks and Gannicus was exhausted beyond meaning of the word, considering how he was implied to be the last man on his feet fighting. But he died as a warrior with honor, the best kind of death. smile.gif

Yeah, Agron occasionally got on my nerves, too. Though that was mostly due to his apparent dislike of and refusal to coexist with Crixus. I really believe that it was him that festered the rift between Spartacus and Crixus. If they hadn't divided the army, they could have beaten Crassus.

Yea, even though that was quite the hearty yell he gave, I figured that was when he passed because of his vision of Oenomaus.

Agron constantly got on my nerves with all his whining and jealousy. Even more so than Nevia, and she really worked my last nerve. At least there is no talk of a spin off that I know of, don't think I could take an Agron centered show....
^
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Apr 22 2013, 02:49 AM

Head of the Organization

Group:
The Organization
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Ashe @ Apr 21 2013, 02:14 AM)
At least there is no talk of a spin off that I know of, don't think I could take an Agron centered show....

No, Starz seems to be putting its eggs in the basket with Da Vinci's Demons and Black Flag (the latter coming next year).

I think the early years of Philip II of Macedon (Alexander the Great's father), chronicling his early years from his time with the Thebans as a hostage, his rise to the throne of Macedonia, and leading to his eventual conquest of Greece, would make a great show in the wake of Rome and Spartacus.
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 2  Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Mobile Version Last Visit: --