Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Resident Evil: Afterlife
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Mar 30 2012, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Mar 29 2012, 04:02 PM)
Alice *was* a good character before Anderson had his way with her, hated her having no powers at ALL??? WTF??? It made for a boring movie because it seemed like they were like... 'well what do we do with her now?' it seemed like they became too 'dependant ' on her wonder woman-ness & forgot that she was once a HUMAN nix named 'ass kicking Alice' . I mean at least leave her SOME powers.

Super powers aren't necessarily what makes a character tough. Flaws and weaknesses make them more human, more believable and identifiable.
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 1 2012, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team
Group: Civilian
Member No.: 32
Credits: 550

No but to be fair batman has no 'super' powers & still is a bad ass mo-fo. The mutants from X-men have powers but still are 'human' characters with weaknesses.

A weakness doesn't have to be physical , it can also be emotional.
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Apr 1 2012, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Apr 1 2012, 02:30 PM)
No but to be fair batman has no 'super' powers & still is a bad ass mo-fo. The mutants from X-men have powers but still are 'human' characters with weaknesses.

A weakness doesn't have to be physical , it can also be emotional.

But the thing is Alice didn't have any weaknesses, physical or otherwise. She was pretty much an all-powerful superhero that couldn't be defeated.
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 1 2012, 09:43 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Her humanity & Compassion for others was her only glaring weakness, before she lost her powers that is.

Spartan I have to say I dig that video in your sigg, it's pretty cool smile.gif
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Apr 2 2012, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Apr 1 2012, 08:43 PM)
Her humanity & Compassion for others was her only glaring weakness, before she lost her powers that is.

I don't really see those as weaknesses, unless you're like Umbrella and want her to be the perfect soldier.

Spartan I have to say I dig that video in your sigg, it's pretty cool smile.gif

Thanks. Just keep in mind that next time you're alone in an empty field... you might not actually be alone. http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/smiley-rpg013.gif
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 2 2012, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Which outfit are those guys in the feild? Military?

Its not just Umbrella who exploids ppls humanity as weakness. That has been playing out btw good & bad guys since good & bad was founded LOL, Like in Extinction when Alice responded to that radio distress message & almost got killed for her trouble, those ass hats were just your run of the mill scum, not even half as smart as the brains at Umbrella & they were still able to fool the supposedly indistructable bio weapon.
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Apr 3 2012, 03:27 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Member No.: 27
Credits: 1370

I agree with Dragoness on this one tongue.gif A person's caring/humanity can be one of the biggest weaknesses to have. The problem with Alice's was she could turn it off rather easily and the liability comes from not being able to turn it off.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

I think the "turning it off" bit is a (or the writers lame attempt at it) act on her par to look like she doesn't care, like in RE 2 where she says in response to threats to kill her LJ, Jill & Carlos with "what makes you think I care"
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

Ever played God of War? If you have, you've seen what Kratos (the guy in my avatar) is and how he progressively lost every bit of humanity inside him. He stopped at nothing to achieve his own goal of killing Zeus, even when he saw that his actions had plunged the entire world, and humanity along with it, into chaos. He didn't care.

That's what happens when one loses their humanity and why I maintain that it's not a weakness.
PM Email Poster
Ashe
 Posted: Apr 4 2012, 03:30 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Apr 3 2012, 11:37 PM)
Ever played God of War? If you have, you've seen what Kratos (the guy in my avatar) is and how he progressively lost every bit of humanity inside him. He stopped at nothing to achieve his own goal of killing Zeus, even when he saw that his actions had plunged the entire world, and humanity along with it, into chaos. He didn't care.

That's what happens when one loses their humanity and why I maintain that it's not a weakness.

It isn't a weakness if you lose it, but if you still retain some caring and humanity it can make you do things that you otherwise wouldn't do if you didn't care. Caring about things changes how one looks at any given situation and can affect the decisions they make. The problem with Alice's was she seemed to be able to switch it on and off like light switch making it less a liability.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 4 2012, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

They just didn't write the character very well or at least not as well as they could/should have. Maybe if they had let her keep her humanity then she might have been able to keep her powers :/ just sayin'
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Apr 4 2012, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Apr 4 2012, 11:02 AM)
They just didn't write the character very well or at least not as well as they could/should have. Maybe if they had let her keep her humanity then she might have been able to keep her powers :/ just sayin'

See that's the thing though... she didn't need all that power to make her a powerful and compelling character. They referred to her as "ass kicking Alice" or something real similar in the first movie for a reason. She was already a power to be reckoned with in her own rights. She was one mean mama jamma as some would say in the first movie.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 5 2012, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Novel version alice was much better then movie version Alice, it's too bad they didn't let her rise to her full potential :/. Needless to say the X-men don't 'need' their powers to be compelling & ass kicking characters either ( tho I know this has little to do with RE other then the common demoninator of 'powers') well rounded ones at that (talking about the comic/animated versions not the movies which also IMHO sucked). 'powers' should enhance a character ..... Albeit if the character is all ready well rounded to begin with & she started out promising ..... Too bad sad.gif.
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Apr 6 2012, 04:11 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Apr 6 2012, 12:33 AM)
Novel version alice was much better then movie version Alice, it's too bad they didn't let her rise to her full potential :/. Needless to say the X-men don't 'need' their powers to be compelling & ass kicking characters either ( tho I know this has little to do with RE other then the common demoninator of 'powers') well rounded ones at that (talking about the comic/animated versions not the movies which also IMHO sucked). 'powers' should enhance a character ..... Albeit if the character is all ready well rounded to begin with & she started out promising ..... Too bad sad.gif.

Yes she is! You learn so much more about the characters and get such a better picture of what is driving them in the novels. This is why I'm usually quite disappointed if I've read the book first. They have too many constraints on them when it comes to film which is why the novels always win out on the which was better debate.

Like in the first movie, when it comes to Lisa and Matt. We find out that Matt is there because his sister is "missing" but you haven't a clue as to why she'd take such a big risk. You are led to believe that it's because she's helping her brother, but in reality she has a score to settle with Umbrella herself over Fatwa (or however that name was spelled), a dear friend of hers who died because of Umbrella.

And when it comes to Extinction.... they left sooooo much out. They totally ignored Jill in the movie, but in the novelization she was a huge part, albeit as a loner. They also kind of gloss over what happened to Angie in the movie. You don't really find out what happened to her, except she was dead. But in the novel you find out that Alice killed her because she was forced by what ever it was they did to her....
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Apr 6 2012, 05:42 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Yeah totally!!! That's why I thoroughly enjoyed reading them, then it would be a little more understandable & realistic why alice would want to not be around ppl & why she thinks it's 'safer' in the movie she kinda comes off as kind of a self righteous b***ch BC it's not explained. They had ample opportunity to insert something when she & Carlos were having their little catch up talk.
PM Yahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 5  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll