Resident Evil Final Days

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll

Underworld/RE crossover?, WTF?
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Aug 1 2012, 01:57 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization
Group: The Organization
Member No.: 1
Credits: 4330

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 1 2012, 12:30 PM)
Yeah but there was some things, like how the virus got out of raccoon city, & what happened to Angie & Jill & thr whole reason why Alice was on her own.

That, I believe, was explained in the novelization of Extinction. Jill stayed in Detroit with another convoy and Umbrella forced Alice to kill Angie, the latter being why Alice preferred to travel alone.

In regards to what Ashe was saying with all the supers and dupers, Alice became too reliant on her powers, so that when it came that she didn't have them to fall back on, she found her toolbox to be a bit light. The same thing happened with me just recently while I was playing Assassin's Creed II. Because I played its sequels, Brotherhood and Revelations first, I had gotten used to the extra abilities and tools of the player character Ezio's like throwing knives, poison, the handgonne, parachutes, etc.. Playing AC2, I didn't have them until later in the game, so I had to make due with just the basic hidden blade, sword, and dagger, meaning my usual toolbox was quite empty and I found myself to be much like you describe Alice.
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 1 2012, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team
Group: Civilian
Member No.: 32
Credits: 550

No I meant that the explanation of where Jill was & why the group of Angie, Carlos, Jill & LJ split up wasn't translated into the movies, I think of anything was it should have been that I liked it better when movies didn't have such strict time constraints, GWTW had an intermission for god's sake!
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Aug 1 2012, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team
Member No.: 27
Credits: 1370

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 1 2012, 06:46 PM)
No I meant that the explanation of where Jill was & why the group of Angie, Carlos, Jill & LJ split up wasn't translated into the movies, I think of anything was it should have been that I liked it better when movies didn't have such strict time constraints, GWTW had an intermission for god's sake!

It didn't translate well. I think all we learn really is that Angie died and that Alice feels responsible if I remember correctly. In the book you learn that she feels guilty because she is the one that kills her. And Jill is totally ignored. Yet in the book she has a pretty big storyline going solo.

And even with GWTW being a bit over 3 hours with the intermission after 1 and a half hours they still cut out the core of what made Scarlett act the way she did. While I love the movie, it doesn't do the book justice!
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 2 2012, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

You think with it being such a long movie, i dont think there were time constraints like there are now, they could have done Scarlett better justice as well :/.

*NOTE: HARRY POTTER SPOILER AHEAD!!!* Just in case someone hasnt read the books or seen the movies yet...

i know something has to give in movies but the latter Harry potter movies (the first two were like 'eh') were pretty darn good with one exception..... in the end of HBP when Dumbledore dies, in the book there is this lovely funneral service where he is laid to rest in a white coffin while his phoenix, Fawkes flying overhead, singing. instead they had the main characters talking & watching Fawkes singing as he flew away. then they all lit their wands to extinguish the dark mark... the time it took to do this scene was plenty of time to do the book scene :/
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Aug 3 2012, 05:32 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 2 2012, 03:05 PM)
You think with it being such a long movie, i dont think there were time constraints like there are now, they could have done Scarlett better justice as well :/.

*NOTE: HARRY POTTER SPOILER AHEAD!!!* Just in case someone hasnt read the books or seen the movies yet...

i know something has to give in movies but the latter Harry potter movies (the first two were like 'eh') were pretty darn good with one exception..... in the end of HBP when Dumbledore dies, in the book there is this lovely funneral service where he is laid to rest in a white coffin while his phoenix, Fawkes flying overhead, singing. instead they had the main characters talking & watching Fawkes singing as he flew away. then they all lit their wands to extinguish the dark mark... the time it took to do this scene was plenty of time to do the book scene :/

I know, you'd think that that early in the business that those things wouldn't have mattered, but they did. They cut out huge chunks of GWTW, with the biggest omissions in my opinion being her children. While she wasn't really all that interested in being a mother and in fact didn't really like her first 2 children Wade (by Charles Hamilton her first husband) and Ella (by Frank Kennedy her 2nd husband), they played a huge role in her decisions. She had to provide for them and she did in the best way she could.

People who see the movie now a days seem to forget that times were way different back then and women didn't have a whole lot of choices when it came to most things. This was especially true in the South. Society looked down on women who were smart with minds of their own, which was one of Scarlett's main faux pas. She was extremely smart and opinionated and usually didn't do a very good job of covering that up.

Personally, I don't see how authors can allow their work to be butchered like that. I love to write myself, and can't imagine having wrote a great story only to have it changed so drastically that it is either unrecognizable or gives the wrong impression of my characters. This is the reason we are seeing so many remakes of Stephen King's early movies like The Shining and Carrie. He didn't feel they did justice to his work and not having the clout he has now, he was unable to stop them.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 6 2012, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

@ashe agreed, I love to write too & if I had written a book ESP one as famous as GWTW, I would have wanted it done right!!! Unless the filmmakers are like politicians... They say one thing, then do another :/
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Aug 6 2012, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

Translating a book into a film is not exactly a cakewalk. "Doing it right" is sometimes impossible.

At any rate, this has grown to have little to do with an Underworld/RE crossover, so perhaps it requires its own topic now? wink.gif
PM Email Poster
Ashe
 Posted: Aug 7 2012, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Last Spartan @ Aug 6 2012, 03:00 PM)
Translating a book into a film is not exactly a cakewalk. "Doing it right" is sometimes impossible.

At any rate, this has grown to have little to do with an Underworld/RE crossover, so perhaps it requires its own topic now? wink.gif

My feeling is if it doesn't translate well to film, then maybe it shouldn't be made one... tongue.gif

I think you may be right tongue.gif
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 24 2012, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

i think a crossover (perhaps Paul Anderson has been reading a tad too much fan fiction LOL because there are a lot of crossovers btw RE & franchises that would never work in the movie-verse).

what's next, Resident evil: Camp Crystal Lake? ... oops guess i wouldnt have said anything :S
PM Yahoo
Rick Grimes
 Posted: Aug 25 2012, 01:11 AM
Quote Post

Head of the Organization

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 24 2012, 08:14 PM)
i think a crossover (perhaps Paul Anderson has been reading a tad too much fan fiction LOL because there are a lot of crossovers btw RE & franchises that would never work in the movie-verse).

Um... you think a crossover what? You kinda didn't finish your sentence. tongue.gif
PM Email Poster
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 26 2012, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

oh i didnt LOL i meant to say 'whats next a RE/friday the 13th crossover?' the next thing we'll be seeing is 'Resident evil: Camp Crystal Lake' LOL. sorry about not finishing my sentence, dont know why i did that tongue.gif
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Aug 28 2012, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif That would be something to see.... Wonder if they would mess with Jason (the zombies of course) or leave him be... and how would he react... http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Resident%20Evil%20Final%20Days/rofl.gif
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 29 2012, 04:27 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

Well you know theyd prolly turn him into an executioner type character :/

If they DID a cross over, which movie verse would you WANT to see RE cross over with?
PM Yahoo
Ashe
 Posted: Aug 29 2012, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

BSAA Bravo Team

QUOTE (Dragoness1982 @ Aug 29 2012, 07:27 AM)
Well you know theyd prolly turn him into an executioner type character :/

If they DID a cross over, which movie verse would you WANT to see RE cross over with?

As if they could ever hope to control Jason to get him to do their dirty work! He'd have 'em bagged and tagged before they knew what happened. xD

I don't think that RE would make a good crossover type movie. The only type it would have a hope of making any sense in would be another zombie movie or show. And most of those already have some sort of reason for the outbreaks, and they weren't Umbrella Corporation, so it'd be pretty hard to make them jive together.
PM
Walker killer
 Posted: Aug 29 2012, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

BSAA Charlie Team

walking dead didnt have a reason for the outbreaks did it? neither did Romero's movies, in one he said something about a space probe that brought back radiation or something like that but i read that on the web somewhere but i dont think it was ever mentioned in the movies.
PM Yahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topic Start new topic Start Poll